I have an 1858 -- What can you tell me?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Palomar9

I have an 1858 -- What can you tell me?

Post by Palomar9 »

I inherited a Remington 1858 from my father. The serial number is 16922 as seen in following photos.
What year was it manufactured? And what might it be worth?

aardq

Re: I have an 1858 -- What can you tell me?

Post by aardq »

Hi Palomar9,

You have an early, New Model Army, made in March of 1863. The grips have been replaced, and it may have been re-blued. We can't give any value without having the gun in hand because there are so many variables.

Daniel
Palomar9

Post by Palomar9 »

Daniel,

Thanks for the info.

I have seen "NEW MODEL" stamped on some units. Could my gun be New Model without the stamp?

And could you guess a rough price range for guns of this time frame in good condition?

Thanks

Phil
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Phil,

Yes, it can be a New Model, without those words on the bbl. Remington never wasted anything, and your serial is close to when the NMAs started being made. It is very possible that a Beals Model bbl was still in a parts bin and was put on a NMA frame. Also, the first ?? number New Models made, may not have the new bbl markings.

The first "New Model" mark was just added to the right of the second line. This was shortly replaced with the standard three line marking. Your gun has a NM frame, NM loading lever, and a NM cylinder, and all 3 serials match, so your gun left the factory in the condition that it is still in.

Dan

Have a Happy New Year!!
aardq

Post by aardq »

PS - Price range

Hi Phil,

We don't give any estimates unless we have the gun in hand. Everybody has their own definition of words like, "poor," "pretty good," "good," "great," and "excellent." So there is really no way to give a fair estimate without having the gun in hand.

Dan
Palomar9

Post by Palomar9 »

Thanks again, Daniel.