"Slam"? fire, Model 725

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
kokodad229

"Slam"? fire, Model 725

Post by kokodad229 »

I have a model 725 that I bought in 1961. Caliber 280. Used it hunting deer and elk. Performed great. After shooting thousands of rounds at targets, had barrel replaced and had a Canjar trigger installed by a renown rifle maker. Performed flawlessly for about 10 years. Then had it fire when safety pushed to "fire" without touching trigger. Some 2 to 4 years later the same malfunction occurred. And had it fire by simply closing the bolt. I "retired" the rifle as unsafe to use. I, now , would like to have the malfunction repaired and give the rifle to my son. After consulting with a couple of gunsmiths and remarms, and this forum. It seems the most probable cause is the trigger. Should I simply try to get a gunsmith to replace the trigger? If so what brand of trigger. Or should I have the rifle action disassembled and inspected to make sure there is not another defect.
Mainspring

Re: "Slam"? fire, Model 725

Post by Mainspring »

kokodad229 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:31 pm After consulting with a couple of gunsmiths and remarms, and this forum. It seems the most probable cause is the trigger. Should I simply try to get a gunsmith to replace the trigger? If so what brand of trigger. Or should I have the rifle action disassembled and inspected to make sure there is not another defect.
If by 'consulted' you mean 'talked to' then you need to hire a gunsmith to actually determine the cause of the problem. Yes, the issue most likely lies in the fire control group, what you've called the trigger, it's whole purpose is to control firing.

Don't go shopping for a trigger assembly yet, mostly because the issue has not been determined. A thorough cleaning of the Canjar assembly needs to be performed, that alone may solve the problem. If cleaning alone does not solve the issue then the assembly may need adjusted.

I would have your gunsmith perform a complete clean and inspection, be sure to explain the problem clearly. Have him adjust the trigger if he determines that it is needed.
kokodad229

Re: "Slam"? fire, Model 725

Post by kokodad229 »

Hi Mainspring --- Thank you for your reply. The rifle is at a gunsmith and he told me he will begin as you suggest.