C stamp on the 1858 revolver

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Lawyer095

C stamp on the 1858 revolver

Post by Lawyer095 »

Good day.
I recently purchased Remington New Model 1858 revolver
There are several proof marks with letters R and S on both sides of revolver.
But there is also C stamp on the left sides wich indicates as I understand that the revolver was condemned.
But there is also cartouche on the left grip indicating the revolver was accepted by the Ordnance Department.
So, I would like to understand what was the history of the revolver? Was it accepted by the Army or it was moved to civil sale?
Will be greatfull for your reply.

Regards.

Leo.Image
Lawyer095

Re: C stamp on the 1858 revolver

Post by Lawyer095 »

Or maybe letter “c” is just inspection mark only and indicating the revolver was accepted by the Ordnance Department?
Once again will be glad to know your opinions.
Regards.
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

Accidentally created the same topic…
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

And almost forgot to mention. Serial number is 141xxx.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Lawyer095,

Per Don Ware's book on large frame revolvers: The letter "C" on a part indicates a the part was condemned. The gun was returned to the assembly room, bad parts replaced, and then resubmitted for inspection. Rem made 150,000 Army revolvers, with 116,00 accepted, so there are 34,000 civilian sales, or guns still in stock at the end of the war.

We can guess several things, including that your gun was still accepted with a condemned part, or more likely, that part was replaced some time after the war ended. If the c is on the frame, then your gun is a real question mark. The grips may have been replaced. What are the initials in the cartouche?

Serial 141290 was made in Feb, 1865, and 141291 was made in March, 1865, so your gun was one of the last made for the government. Most of the last production was not issued, and was stored for future use.

Hope that this helps,
Daniel
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Again Lawyer,

I forgot to ask, do all 3 serial numbers match? If not, it may have been assembled from various parts. It has been 157 years since your pistol was made, and a lot could have happened to it over those Years.

Daniel
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello,

Is that a lanyard ring stud on the butt? If so, it was added after it left the factory. Maybe at that time, some parts were replaced.

Daniel
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

aardq wrote:Hi Again Lawyer,

I forgot to ask, do all 3 serial numbers match? If not, it may have been assembled from various parts. It has been 157 years since your pistol was made, and a lot could have happened to it over those Years.

Daniel
Hello.
Yes. All all the numbers match, including number on frame, barrel and trigger guard tab.
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

aardq wrote:Hello,

Is that a lanyard ring stud on the butt? If so, it was added after it left the factory. Maybe at that time, some parts were replaced.

Daniel
Yes, it is. I will add more pics.
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

aardq wrote:Hi Lawyer095,

Per Don Ware's book on large frame revolvers: The letter "C" on a part indicates a the part was condemned. The gun was returned to the assembly room, bad parts replaced, and then resubmitted for inspection. Rem made 150,000 Army revolvers, with 116,00 accepted, so there are 34,000 civilian sales, or guns still in stock at the end of the war.

We can guess several things, including that your gun was still accepted with a condemned part, or more likely, that part was replaced some time after the war ended. If the c is on the frame, then your gun is a real question mark. The grips may have been replaced. What are the initials in the cartouche?

Serial 141290 was made in Feb, 1865, and 141291 was made in March, 1865, so your gun was one of the last made for the government. Most of the last production was not issued, and was stored for future use.

Hope that this helps,
Daniel
Serial number is 14120X.
I can't for sure tell what the cartouche intials are.
I tried to make the best pics I can. If necessary, I can try using a camera.
In my opinion the whole revolver parts are factory made in one period. As I said all serials numbers match.
Well, very interesting what was the reason to put C mark in this case on the revolver...
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

And last thing I forgot to mention. Serial number under the trigger guard tab missing first “1” number. And other 5 digit “4120X” present. But, of course, you know that.

Leo
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

Carefully examined cartouche and I think initials are RPB which is for R.P. Barry if I am correct. Maybe I am wrong with initials...
Will be happy to know your opinion.
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

Made several pics of cartouche in different modes (according to my skills).
I think that I am correct with initials. Image
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Leo,

Thanks for all the additional photos. Yes, Rem often just put the last 5 digits on the trigger guard tab.

Looking at the cartouche, and based only on the first letter, I agree that the first letter is a P or a R. According to Ware's book, the only inspector who fits this is Robert P Barry. Ware says that he was inspecting, "...very late in the war." so that fits the serial number.

The "C" mark is puzzling since the frame has sub-inspector's marks, indicating that it passed the inspection. I have no idea why it is there. If the frame were condemned, then it would have been sent back to the assembly room for disposition. According to Ware, the gun should have been disassembled and the parts put on a new frame. Ware believed that the serials were applied at final assembly, but is that the assembly after proofing, or assembly after passing inspection and any bad parts replaced?

It looks like you have a mystery revolver, and unfortunately, you may never be able to solve the mystery. It is still a nice pistol.

Daniel