M1899 Remington-Lee: Throating for 6mm USN ctg?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
i_m_bob

M1899 Remington-Lee: Throating for 6mm USN ctg?

Post by i_m_bob »

I have recently obtained a Remington Lee Model 1899 Sporting rifle chambered for the 6mm (.236) Navy cartridge.

I am seeking a drawing or other document that shows the dimensions of the chamber reamed in rifles for 6mm Navy cartridges. Equally useful would be a document or drawing showing dimensions of a reamer used in chambering a rifle for this cartridge.

It is possible to make a partial drawing, reasonably precise, based on cartridge case measurements. However, I am particularly interested the configuration and dimensions of the throat as reamed about 120 years ago. A chamber drawing based only on case dimensions will lack this information.

I have made chamber casts of my Remington-Lee rifle, and of three different Winchester-Lee sporter and military Model 1895 rifles. All throats have been more or less worn, unfortunately. Trying to make a drawing of the throat based on these chamber casts would involve a lot of guesswork.

The Winchester museum files in Cody WY do not include a dimensioned drawing of a chamber or chamber reamer. Because Remington made both rifles and ammunition for the 6mm Navy cartridge, I am hoping that such a drawing may be available in Remington archives or in other sources familiar to knowledgeable collectors.

Any hints about where to look for a drawing are welcome. Suggestions for contacting individuals who might know how to find a drawing will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

--Bob
aardq

Re: M1899 Remington-Lee: Throating for 6mm USN ctg?

Post by aardq »

Hi Rob,

Maybe a manufacturer has the drawings that you want. There may not be a specific throat design, or length since each maker will determine what length throat they want in their barrels. They may only have the dimensions of the cartridge. Maybe a barrel maker will have the throat dimensions that they use, that is if anyone even makes barrel in 6mm Lee.
Good luck in your search.