Remington New Model Army date of manufacturing

Fabrizio

Remington New Model Army date of manufacturing

Post by Fabrizio »

Hi everyone,
I am Fabrizio from Italy.
I have recently acquired a New Model Army SN# 80566 with matching seril number.
Thanks to this site I have learned a lot on the subject.
I would like to know if you can give me some informations on the date of manufacturing and if you know to wich regiment it was assigned.
Thank you in advance, Fabrizio
Fabrizio

Re: Remington New Model Army date of manufacturing

Post by Fabrizio »

I have tried to attach some files but the system showed this message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached".
What can I do?
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello Fabrizio,

Your guns was made in June of 1864. The serial is in three places, under the barrel, on the lower, left grip frame, and on the trigger guard tab. US government sub-inspectors stamped a single letter on the barrel, cylinder, and frame, and there is a cartouche on the lower let grip for the final inspector.

These inspector’s marks, indicates that the gun was US property and probably used in the US Civil War. Unfortunately, there are few records of which guns were issued to any specific army unit, or navy ship, so there is no way to know what units may have used this gun.

If your gun doesn’t have these inspectors’ marks, then the gun was sold on the civilian market, and as with government guns, there is no way to know what store sold the gun, or any of the owners.

Enjoy your new treasure,
Daniel
Fabrizio

Post by Fabrizio »

Dear Daniel,
thank you very much for your information that confirm my impression (I read a couple of forum posts describing serial numbers very close to mine).
I have found the same serial number in all the three places, under the barrel, on the lower left grip frame, and on the trigger guard tab and they all match. In addition, I have found the last four digit on the cylinder and a P sub inspector mark. The cartouche on the lower left grip of the final inspector bears the "GP" monogram.
Thank very much again!!!
All the best, Fabrizio
Fabrizio

Post by Fabrizio »

I saw on the web a "Research Report" issued by the Remington Society of America. Is it possible to have one of it for my revolver?
BTW it is a pity I can not attach any picture of my New Model...
Thank you again. You are the best!!!
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello again Frabrizio,

The “GP” on the grip is for Giles Porter. Here’s what Don ware said in his book; "Giles Porter, principal sub-inspector. Porter seems to have served at Remington on more than one tour of duty during the war, as the serial number range of the revolvers bearing his cartouche are spread out from 20,000 to 100,000.” That certainly takes in your serial number.

The partial serial number on the cylinder indicates that the cylinder required some hand fitting. The number insured that the cylinder was returned to the correct frame after blueing.

Daniel