New Here - Model 14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Edws1992-K

New Here - Model 14

Post by Edws1992-K »

Been scouring these forums getting great information from all present. Curious on year of my model 14. Shoots well. Action is smooth over all but seems to get stuck occasionally when slide is all the way back, ideas? If I twist foregrip back and forth comes loose. Need a new follower as it slips into chamber in occasion. Is the buttplate original? I’d like to replace if not.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xjesi87vw568 ... KF9Wa?dl=0
Last edited by Edws1992-K on Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nambujim

Re: New Here - Model 14

Post by nambujim »

No pictures, no serial, no caliber, description of a rifle that shoots, hangs up, bad follower, and who knows what for a butt plate. Its been seriously messed with, good luck, and that's the best I can do with the information provided.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Edws1992-K

Post by Edws1992-K »

I cannot get the pictures to upload.

REM-UMC 30 Rem
SN C 10530
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

The low serial guns of course were (in my opinion) the worst, at about serial 22,000 they started to modify every internal part more than just a few times. Your rifle dates to 1913, it probably had a "bakelite" butt plate that with a bit of age cracked easily. Plastic nylon reproduction plates are available for about $20.

Your rifle probably needs a good cleaning by someone who knows what he is doing. If "you" try to take it apart, be VERY careful because this model has lots of springs/plungers, the cartridge stop retained behind the flange on the action bar cover can fall out, and once lost you really have a problem.

One tiny bit of lead shaving can cause the rifle to bind, a poor fitting/bent action bar cover can do the same, and so many other things. 90% of all load/feed/firing/eject problems are directly related to reloaded ammunition. 30 Remington amounts to about 60% of all Model 14 production, it is essentially a rimless version of the 30-30 Winchester and uses the same powder load/bullets.

Hope this helps!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Ed!

I received your "very good" pictures in a private email.

That rifle is 100% original except for the replacement butt plate, not a bad replacement so "I" wouldn't bother to change it. Original Bakelite butt plates in usable condition are impossible to find.

The rifle has a "lot" of wear but doesn't look bad but again the guts of it probably need a good cleaning. Remember back in 1913 they were still using some black powder in cartridges, a mix of it, and even the newer powders at the time were pretty sooty! Also a lot of corrosive primers were in use right up until the 40's so there is probably a lot of crud inside your rifle.

I would start by removing the bolt which is easy (putting in back in can be a bit tricky) but flush the heck out of it with something as easy as WD40, clean out the release button hole, polish the ejector rod, ejector, and release button. The ejector is the slide on the side of the bolt, all that I described is pretty easy. When I work on one of these I use a fine wire wheel with lower RPM to polish the parts including the bolt body. Like I say, its a place to start!!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Edws1992-K

Post by Edws1992-K »

Jim, I appreciate the information. I have cleaned it a couple times, these are neat rifles. I found a place called “Buffalo Arms” here in Idaho that makes reloads. Cheers!
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Buffalo Arms for years has made the best "semi-factory" loads for the Model 14 AND the only supplier that takes note of the need to use "round nose" bullets. yea!

OH! you do need a new follower, the earlier ones were not hardened, and wear more easily. There is also the possibility there was a dent in the magazine tube so a previous owner reduced the size of the follower to fit down the tube.

Behave!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson