Remington ivory

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
ivory-rem

Remington ivory

Post by ivory-rem »

Anyone know more about this revolver S/N barrel 51467 and S/N frame 91046. When can the engraving be done and the grips original?
Öppna i Google Översätt

Feedback
Attachments
lkhjg 014 (Large).JPG
lkhjg 014 (Large).JPG (175.52 KiB) Viewed 734 times
33.jpg
33.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 734 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (113.73 KiB) Viewed 734 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (117.23 KiB) Viewed 734 times
aardq

Re: Remington ivory

Post by aardq »

Hello,

It looks like a New Model Army. By the serial numbers, the BBL was made in Jan. 1864, and the frame was made in August of 1864. Obviously the BBL was replaced at some time. There will also be a serial number on the tab of the trigger guard, it should match one of the other numbers..

I'm no expert on engraving, but it looks like or very similar to the engraving found on Remington pistols. Remington did not do any in house engraving, but hired outside engravers. The engraving looks like it is period, but there is no way to know.

The grips look like real ivory, but you used the term, "Remington ivory." This term is often used to describe the celluloid grips that look like ivory, which Remington used on their pistols. If you remove the grips, and there is a metal plate on the grip, then the grips are celluloid. If there is no metal plate, then the grips are real ivory.

Sorry that I couldn't be more help.
Daniel
ivory-rem

Post by ivory-rem »

The trigger gard is same as frame. Send pics. on grips inside. Did Remington make ivory grips in the in the orginal revolvers?
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello,

Since the trigger guard and frame are the same, I'd guess that the bbl was replaced at some point, before the gun was engraved. Remington always offered real ivory grips as an option on all of their handguns. I don't know it Remington made the grips, or if Remington had the grips made for them. Ivory was a very popular option, especially on engraved guns. Also, many jewelry stores would buy pistols, have them engraved, and put ivory, or fancy wood grips on the guns and then sell them.

The celluloid grips have a metal backing plate to strengthen them, real ivory grips don't.

Daniel