Mystery Remington Keene carbine

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Inusuit

Mystery Remington Keene carbine

Post by Inusuit »

The museum where I volunteer as a firearms historian has a unique Remington Keene carbine that was used by guards on the Deadwood Stage, more properly, the Cheyenne and Black Hills Stage and Express Line The line was in operation from 1876 to 1887.

I am unable to make an accurate identification of the firearm. I believe that the Remington Keene was produced in six variants: Hunter (sporting rifle), Musket, Carbine, Navy, Army and Indian Carbine or Frontier Model.

Our carbine most closely resembles the Frontier/Indian Carbine. Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms, 9th Edition gives this description of that model: "Made for the U.S. Department of the Interior for arming Indian Police 1880-1881. 24" barrel with carbine style barrel band at muzzle; sling swivels; carbine buttplate without flanged top and marked U.S.I.D. with serial number on left side of frame and also government inspectors' marks on frame and stock.

Our firearm has the same stock configuration as the Indian Carbine, has the two sling swivels, and barrel band at the muzzle. However the carbine buttplate does have a flanged top. It does not have the U.S.I.D. mark, serial number, or inspector's cartouche/marks. The barrel length is 20 inches, not 24. Flayderman does not list a 20 inch barrel on any variant. The barrel and magazine tube do not appear to be shortened. The E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, N.Y stamp on the rear top of the action has been partially ground off. The two line patent dates remain. The only other mark is .45 and 70 on the left rear of the action.

Any thoughts about this firearm will be appreciated.
billt

Re: Mystery Remington Keene carbine

Post by billt »

Hi,
I previously owned a Remington-Keene carbine with a 20 inch barrel. On page 71 of Roy Marcot’s book, Remington America’s Oldest Gunmaker, he lists the Remington-Keene models being the same as in Flayderman’s with the exception of the carbine which Roy lists as having a 20 inch barrel as compared to Fladerman who lists it as having a 22 inch barrel. I believe the mistake in Fladeryman’s book stems from an 1882 Remington Catalogue Description which can be found on page 5-38 of Remington Arms in History Volume One by Bill West. On that page the Army Rifle is pictured with the barrel length of 32 and 1/2 inches listed under it. This is followed by a picture of the Navy Rifle with the barrel length of 29 and 1/4 inches listed above it. Under the Navy Rifle is just the word Carbine (no picture) followed with the barrel length of 22 inches.
I can Private Message you some pictures of my carbine which I took before I sold it if you would like.

I hope this helps,

Bill
Inusuit

Re: Mystery Remington Keene carbine

Post by Inusuit »

Bill, thank you for the reply. Yes, I would appreciate pictures of your carbine. I will take pictures of ours next week.