Model 31 Trigger Group Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Tom-in-Pittsburgh

Model 31 Trigger Group Question

Post by Tom-in-Pittsburgh »

I picked up a nice "shooter grade" Model 31-TC a few months ago. "Shooter grade" because it has been nicely restocked and is no longer original.

It's a c.1947 gun. When it arrived, I discovered that the trigger had been nicely altered to a release trigger - which I shot some, but a release trigger really isn't my thing.

I was lucky to find a regular trigger on eBay. It arrived today and I've switched it out.

Here's my question: the trigger guard and housing on my gun (serial #8821X) is a heavy piece of milled steel and the trigger itself appears to be stainless steel.

The replacement I bought (serial # 11256X), however, has what appears to be a plain, blued steel trigger, and the trigger guard and housing are lighter in weight and look to me to be blackened cast aluminum.

Any info as to around what serial number Remington made the switch?

I'm happy now to have a regular "pull" trigger for my gun, just a little bummed out by the lower quality of the later assembly.

TIA.

PS The ads on this site are over the top in quantity and totally distracting and annoying...
Researcher

Re: Model 31 Trigger Group Question

Post by Researcher »

Remington Arms Co., Inc. announced the Model 31L "Lightweight" with the Aeromet receiver along with the introduction of the 1941 version of the Model 31 with the larger trigger group.
Model 31L 1941 folder.jpeg
Model 31L 1941 folder.jpeg (565.17 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Already by the June 10, 1941, Remington catalog the Model 31L was listed "Deliveries of this model delayed indefinitely due to raw material shortages."
Model 31L June 10, 1941 catalog.jpeg
Model 31L June 10, 1941 catalog.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 688 times
Wonder what was going on to cause that?

Remington must have had a supply of the alloy trigger groups because the earliest gun I have with the alloy trigger group is a military marked Model 31 Skeet Gun, serial number 52215. I've had it apart and the serial numbers on all parts match. Something not often seen on the military marked guns. I have another military marked Model 31 that is a 1934 version with different serial numbers on the receiver, barrel and trigger group and has a stock on it for a 1941 version!! After WW-II it seems to be a crap shoot as to whether one got a steel or alloy trigger group on a steel receiver gun. My steel receiver Model 31A "Standard" Grade 82700 has a steel trigger group. My Aeromet receiver Model 31LA "Standard" Grade 94196 has an alloy trigger group. My steel receiver Model 31-TC "Target" Grade 119914 started life with an alloy trigger group, but old Ike Ellis changed it to steel and deactivated the safety before the gun came to me.
Tom-in-Pittsburgh

Post by Tom-in-Pittsburgh »

Great info - thanks. Is it possible from a serial # to know whether a gun was a 31L or not?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I have seen Model 31s with the Aeromet receiver marked "Model 31L" but most are just marked "Model 31" the same as the steel receivers. The Aeromet receivers appear to be serial numbered right along with the steel receivers.