Model 14 question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
54bullseye

Model 14 question

Post by 54bullseye »

I have two model 14s with the thumbnail type safeties. One has a definite click when you move it up and down but the other is a very loose feeling almost a smooth up and down. It seems like no detent or something ??? It does work and the one with no click also has the cross bar safety behind the trigger. Both safeties do work. Is there a spring that works a detent on them ?? Any info would be great. Thanks John Taylor
nambujim

Re: Model 14 question

Post by nambujim »

There is a tiny spring/plunger on the side of the slide that causes it to click into place. Its common that when someone removes the slide from the bolt the tiny plunger will shoot out into space. As long as the slide is properly installed stradling the "sear lock" extension it will work properly without the spring/plunger, it just won't stay in place.

TNS parts are difficult to find and as far as I can determine were never shown on any parts list from Remington. When Tom Hemphill & I were visiting Ken Blauch several years back we had an informal discussion about TNS rifles with/without the X-bolt safety. It was our "opinion" that the factory produced only full TNS guns (rifles with the cut, the TNS bolt, and a blank in place of the X-bolt safety).

It is here where you need to put things into perspective, its around 1920, Remington scrimps to save a few pennies anyway they can, and NEVER throws anything away. This was apparent because they sold a lot of rifles with the TNS cut on the frame that had an X-bolt safety and no TNS bolt. TNS bolts were more expensive to make, included several extra parts, and they probably had hundreds left in inventory which they weren't going to dump. These bolts trickled out into the market place with many finding homes in rifles that had the TNS cut in the frame, adding to that I have personally worked on a couple dozen rifles that didn't have a TNS cut but had a TNS bolt.

Several years back I had a "real" gunsmith make me a few of the plungers for the TNS slide, installing the spring/plunger is not big deal, keeping it in place while trying to get it to line up properly with the "sear lock extension" is a bit annoying.

Hope this answers most of your questions!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Thanks for getting back to me. I figured something must have been missing. Like I said it works but I think a good jar would knock it off safety !! I guess I will leave it be for now as it does have the other safety that works good. Thank you ! John Taylor
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

John!
Thought I might have one plunger left but I used to repair a TNS bolt that now sits in my drawer full of 14/141 bolts. Wish I had an extra.

Jim
Jim Peterson
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

So under the thumbnail safety would it be bottom left side is a little switch or lever devise "very small" and on back side of the thumbnail safety there is a notch it fits behind. Is that switch or lever supposed to be spring loaded ?? John
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Once you remove the slide there is no question as to where the spring/plunger go, if you want some excitement, remove the slide from your other TNS to see exactly what you are working with. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". Yes, it is spring loaded, and quite possibly the spring is still in place.

I am not usually this informative for someone who has outbid me on Gunbroker....lol.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Sorry about that LOL !! The 141 is supposed to arrive today.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Hey!
Not that it matters but I found a plunger for the TNS slide if you decide you want to have it installed on the bolt. $75 for the plunger/labor plus return postage. Thought I would pass on the info. Don't know if your slide still has the spring and don't know that I have one but probably can find one that works.
Jim
Jim Peterson
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Yes Jim I would like to make safety right, I will send you an email, Thanks John Taylor