700 C grade early model information

Rematt65

700 C grade early model information

Post by Rematt65 »

Good Morning everyone.
I have a C grade 700 in 375 H&H mag. I am going to supply what information I have and hope that someone here can help me date the rifle and tell me anything else they know.
The rifle has a 26" barrel. Left side of the barrel has the caliber followed by a diamond proof mark. Right side of the barrel has a triangle with a "T" inside followed by the "REP" in the oval pressure proof. The color of the barrel is more black than blue, there is a slight scrape on the barrel where the finish looks like it is almost "flaking off". I wonder if this is one of the stainless barrels they copper plated then iron plated so they could blue them. From what I heard this was done to the 375 & 458 barrels early on. The bolt is not jeweled. The safety lever is the flat sided style as opposed to the round style. Serial # is 268XXX. The stock is nicely figured with rosewood forend tip, grip cap and recoil bolt plugs. The rifle has seen some use but overall is still handsome. If anyone could tell me something they know about it that would be great. I am estimating date of manufacture 1965-1966 but I cannot confirm.
54bullseye

Re: 700 C grade early model information

Post by 54bullseye »

Sounds like a nice gun !! On page 186 in John Lacy's book under random serial numbers and dates 268XXX would fit into the 1967 category but being out of the custom shop that can vary a bit. The 26" barrel was discontinued in 1970 and they went to 24" in 1971. 1969 was first year bolts were jeweled but I believe jeweling could have been special ordered from custom shop earlier. It was 1969 they went from the old style flat safety lever to the rounded version. So I guess following Lacy's book info I would call it a 1967 gun from what your saying. Show us some pictures if you could.
I have many Safari's and 700s and Lacy's book is a must for any 700 collector for dating the rifles it is a wealth of knowledge on these guns !!
John Taylor