Another 1858 Army dating question

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
CosmolineDream

Another 1858 Army dating question

Post by CosmolineDream »

I've just picked up a New Army from an antique store, it's missing a lot but it's in overall quite good condition for only $175. I would say that the markings on the top of the barrel have worn off, but there isn't much sign of wear there so it almost makes me think it wasn't marked in the first place. No cartouches on the grips either. The serial number -which matches on the grip frame and barrel, but the trigger guard is missing- is 26253, lower than a fair amount of the posts I've seen. Happy to answer any questions or post pics, thank you for your time
aardq

Re: Another 1858 Army dating question

Post by aardq »

The serial, 26253, was made in June of 1863, so it should be a New Model, which were delivered from Jan of 1863 to the end of the war. It may have been made for the civilian market, and thus no inspectors cartouche. Or, the grips have been replaced. Are there inspector's marks on any parts of the gun? If not, then a civilian gun or a lunch box gun. No idea on the lack of bbl markings except a "lunch box special."

Your new find sounds like a candidate as a parts gun, and all Remmie collectors will need parts sooner or later.

Daniel