Model 870 Vent Rib Attachment

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Bnelson

Model 870 Vent Rib Attachment

Post by Bnelson »

Can anyone tell me how the vent rib is attached on the 870 model? I have a friend who left the gun in a case and it is rusted to the point where it needs to be reblued. I know that hot bluing will separate the rib from the barrel if it is soft solder, but won't if it is attached with silver solder. Just want to know how to proceed with this.
Thanks,
Bruce
Wulfman

Re: Model 870 Vent Rib Attachment

Post by Wulfman »

Bnelson wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:08 pm Can anyone tell me how the vent rib is attached on the 870 model? I have a friend who left the gun in a case and it is rusted to the point where it needs to be reblued. I know that hot bluing will separate the rib from the barrel if it is soft solder, but won't if it is attached with silver solder. Just want to know how to proceed with this.
Thanks,
Bruce
In my opinion, and it should be obvious that it would be cheaper to just buy another barrel than to try to fix the rusted one. Then, he needs to learn to take better care of (store) his firearms.

Den

Bnelson

Post by Bnelson »

I agree with you on that, but he is a young 20 something and has been scolded heavily by his family. I am just trying to clean up what I can for him since it was his grandfather's gun.
Bruce
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Bnelson wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:19 am I agree with you on that, but he is a young 20 something and has been scolded heavily by his family. I am just trying to clean up what I can for him since it was his grandfather's gun.
Bruce
If you can find a gunsmith who can/will do the restoration (shouldn't be too hard)....they will know what to do, at whatever the cost and they will be able to tell you in advance what the procedure will be and what the cost will be. But, we're talking about one of the most commonly available shotguns and available barrels ever made and it should be economical to acquire a replacement barrel......even with interchangeable choke options.
I own three 870s (one in 12 gauge and two in 20 gauge. I have multiple barrels (4) for the 12 gauge and the two 20s are of different lengths and chokes and would be easy to switch or swap the barrels within the same gauges for whatever purpose I may wish to use them for. For 12 gauge models, it's pretty easy to find another barrel for anywhere from about $90 to $175 depending on the characteristics .
One of the selling points of the 870 was that they HAD interchangeable barrels.

Den

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

You also did not mention what the gauge and barrel length of that 870 was.

Den

Bnelson

Post by Bnelson »

The barrel is a 12 gauge with a 26" barrel.
Bruce
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Bnelson wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:00 am The barrel is a 12 gauge with a 26" barrel.
Bruce
Probably a bunch of em in this link:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=reming ... els&ia=web

Den