Model 1900 extractor

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
No Deer

Model 1900 extractor

Post by No Deer »

A friend bought a model 1900 (by sn built in 1902) sxs 12 ga. It is stamped on the bottom of the barrel "K D". The extractor is two piece, that is left and right rods. One exploded view I saw showed a one piece extractor, left and right on the same rod. If there are two rods, is it an ejector model? Even though it is not stamped as an ejector model?

He is having an issue with this gun. If he removes the forearm and separates the barrels from the receiver, then puts it back together, when he goes to put the forearm back on it will not go on. One of the (sorry don't know what it is called) pieces that flips up to operate the ejector/extractor, is in the "up" position. He has to push it back down with a wood rod, then it will go on the gun ok. Sorry, don't have pics of at this time, and probably my explanation is clear as mud, but any ideas?
Researcher

Re: Model 1900 extractor

Post by Researcher »

Sounds like he has a KED-Grade. When the K-quality Remington Hammerless Doubles were introduced in 1900 there were two versions, the K-Grade with Remington Steel barrels and a plain extractor and the KED-Grade with two-stripe Damascus barrels and automatic ejectors. In the 1903-04 Remington Arms Co. catalog they added the KD-Grade with two-stripe Damascus Barrels and a plain extractor.
1903-04 Catalog pg 9, KD- & KED-Grade.jpeg
1903-04 Catalog pg 9, KD- & KED-Grade.jpeg (403.93 KiB) Viewed 942 times
In the 1906 Remington Arms Co. catalog they filled out the line with the KE-Grade with Remington Steel barrels and automatic ejectors.

Extractor forearm --
305232 02.jpeg
305232 02.jpeg (227.26 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Ejector forearm --
384384 08.jpg
384384 08.jpg (40.37 KiB) Viewed 942 times
No Deer

Post by No Deer »

Thank you for your reply. His forearm looks the same as the one in the bottom pic. This is confusing to us, because his barrel is stamped "K D".
Don't know what the proper name is for them, but one of the pieces that actuate the ejectors does not seem to be working properly. One of them is in the down position, and the other is up when the forearm is removed. The one that is up interferes with the forearm getting into proper position for reattachment. He can/does push it to the down position(uses a piece of wood as it takes more pressure than can be applied with just his hand), then is able to reattach the forearm. When he fires the gun, and breaks the action, the ejectors react like extractors, not ejectors.

I have told him to take it to a good gunsmith, but so far he has not done so, not sure why he is dragging his feet.
k12k12

Post by k12k12 »

I recently inherited what I think is a Remington 1900, and it has the same problem when I try to reattach the forearm. Did your friend ever find a solution? I'd be very interested in hearing about it!

Also, I'm interested in learning more about Grandpa's shotgun (SN 351201), and the Semmer book seems to be a good place to start. But it costs $65, and I'm not sure if it'll have the info I'm interested in. Could someone post the table of contents from Semmer's book to help me decide?

Thanks!
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Sounds like you have a broken spring or sear in the forearm ejector. Should be a simple fix but most gun smiths won't know how to repair it. If you like you could send it to me for a look see and possible repair.

As for Remington barrel stampings -- they were not consistent for most of the S/S guns including the 1900s and '94s. A missing E for the ejector grade isn't surprising.

Semmer's coverage of the 1900 in his book is useful. There is no Table of Contents. It covers barrel stamping of grades, chokes and S/Ns plus other facts and features. Your 1900 was made in 1905.
k12k12

Post by k12k12 »

Thanks for the info! 1905, so Grandpa would have been about 35 at the time. I know that he was a member of a German shooting society in Cincinnati a bit after that. (He died 20 years before I was born.)

I'll check with our local gunsmiths, but if I have no luck there I may want to take you up on your offer.

Thanks again!