Pre-1921 model 10 dating

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
M109a3

Pre-1921 model 10 dating

Post by M109a3 »

Stumbled across what I think is a model 10 or 1908 pump shotgun, trying to narrow down the date a bit. It's got enough surface rust that I'll likely get cleaned up and turned into a display item, but some of the markings are illegible at the moment.

Remington UMC stamp behind trigger guard and on buttplate. Between loading port and barrel is "U 75xxx".

I can't make out much on the barrel, other than the word "Full", presumably describing the choke.

Based on a post mentioning 1913 serials started at 95318, so I'm guessing 1912, depending on production volume.

For some reason, "model 10 dating" are all words the search engine thinks are too common to be used for a search.
Fowlgunner

Re: Pre-1921 model 10 dating

Post by Fowlgunner »

Everyone wants to date a 10, you'll be happier with a 5! Lol

I am no expert on 10's but have looked at a lot of them and Model 11's of the same time frame and my theory is that the Remington and Circle UMC stampings on the tangs are the discerning features of the Model 10 and 11.

Without those I consider them Remington Repeating Shotguns and Remington Autoloading Shotguns.

So you have a Model 10, in my opinion, and it must have been made post merger 1910-1911.

There was a Serial guide in a Remington Society Journal a few years ago, but I am currently away from my copy, but will look at it to give you a more educated guess.

Good luck with your gun!

Will