Model 14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Eddie Southgate

Model 14

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Wake up Jim ! I just won an auction for a 1930 model 14 in .35 Rem with the Redfield 102 sight I was after a while back . I'll post the serial number when I have it in hand as well as the number from my m14 in .32 from 1928 I think. Hope the stock is full length cause it sure needs a butt plate instead of that ugly pad.

Been shooting the .32 and have settled on 34.5 grains of IMR 4320 and the 170 grain Hornady Interlock bullet loaded in Winchester brass. Set the dies up using a round from a 1930's box of Remington ammo as recommended by yourself, they feed like factory stuff Tried a much recommended dose of IMR 4064 but it felt kinda punky and my rifle didn't like it at all . Groups looked like a buckshot pattern .

Hope these pictures come thru .
Attachments
Rem1435botAct.jpg
Rem1435botAct.jpg (136.09 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
Rem1435FA.jpg
Rem1435FA.jpg (126.97 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
Rem14351.jpg
Rem14351.jpg (154.53 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
Rem1435R.jpg
Rem1435R.jpg (92.13 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
Rem1435Sight.jpg
Rem1435Sight.jpg (149.12 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
Last edited by Eddie Southgate on Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Eddie Southgate

Re: Model 14

Looking at the blown up picture the sn looks like 115112 so it is probably actually a 1930 gun . The number of the .32 rife is 104752 so it is later than I was told when I bought it.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

FYI. If you haven't looked in awhile... IMR 4320 is now discontinued. Hopefully you have enough.
Eddie Southgate

Several 8 pounders . I'm in my 60's so won't likely run out .
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I saw that rifle on GB I think and recorded the serial. I remember it well because of all the holes in the side, the awful recoil pad, the 50 cent rear sight, and the fantastic Redfield 102 Tang Sight. I was worth the purchase just to get that sight.

I load the .32 with IMR4895 (34gr) but use Hornady 8MM .323 bullets, found them to be more accurate but came to that conclusion 30+ years ago but doubt things have changed that much.

Enjoy your rifle & behave!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Eddie Southgate

That the plan Jim . I am a shooter not a collector . I know a fellow who can fix them holes to where you would never know they had been there. Might get him to fix them . I liked my .35 model 141 but I am really loving the model 14 . I would love to have one of each caliber but since I am retired my play money has more or less been cut off till I find a retirement job . I looked at a homely .30 Remington model 14 of mixed heritage but then saw the sight on this one I had been looking for and couldn't resist . Might take another look at the other one if it don't go anywhere but it will have to wait till the social security checks start showing up I guess .It's tough being a gun crank and poor all in the same lick. Good thing I have hoarded powder , primers and bullets for the last 50 years so I can still shoot all I want. Got a new house and farm with a 100 yard range in the front yard and two good Deer stands in the back . I'll give the .323's a try, I shoot 8mm as well as the .325 WSM so have a few different .323 bullets .

Best Regards,
Eddie
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Eddie!

You did good with that rifle, the bloody sight is worth a "bunch" and is the best iron sight every made the rifle.

That mixed heritage .30 Cal you were talking about on GB is probably mine but but it works like a champ. I notice in "most" listings they don't tell you that it "loads, feeds, fires, and ejects" properly but rather "you should have it checked out by a competent gunsmith". The "key" here is to find a gunsmith that has actually seen one of these rifles and then find one who has parts.

Good luck with all you have going on, glad you got that sight!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Eddie Southgate

Jim,
I had already pretty much figured that rifle was yours , that's the only reason I would consider it . Really wish I had the money for the model 25. I'm still trying to figure out what the issue with mine is . When I can find some proper bullets I'm gonna try loading a couple just slightly shorter than the factory Remington rounds I have and see if that helps . Might try to bump a couple of the factory rounds if I cant . Cartridge goes back with the slide but the nose does not tip up . I can take the takedown screw loose and start to separate the two sections and as soon as it moves the nose comes up . Put her back together and start the bolt forward and it is not quite perfectly lined up with the chamber but usually goes in anyway but something is just a little off in the initial alignment .

Best Regards,
Eddie Southgate
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Eddie/Others!

The 14 working "parts gun" sold, the guy got a good deal. It worked flawlessly!

If you are interested in that Model 25 I could go $1025 Plus postage if I didn't have to go through the seller. For info.

The hole pattern on the side of your Model 14 looks like an old Weaver Mount similar to those they used for .22's. They sure made a LOT of mounts for those rifles, all with different hole patterns.

Jim
Jim Peterson
Eddie Southgate

I appreciate it Jim but right now it's not something I should do . If I sold some of the foreign military stuff I might could afford it but I really don't have the time right at the moment . If it hangs around long enough I might see what I can do . That probably sold it right there . Every time I say that the item sells the next day or so .

Best Regards,
Eddie Southgate
Eddie Southgate

Rifle came today. It works fine and shoots the 200 grain Core Lokt factory load great with the current sight setting, Shoots an inch to the right so I will fine tune it some but it's close enough to hunt with as it came.

Best Regards
Eddie Southgate
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

That's good, should be an easy correction with that sight.

If you decide you want the M25, we could do payments...........its not my rifle, selling
it for a sick friend.

Jim
Jim Peterson
Eddie Southgate

Jim,
I want it but I need to wait to hear from Social Security before I feel comfortable doing anything about it . If you can sell it before I get to where I can get it by all means do so . If you still have it when I get my money started or can sell something to cover it I will take it at the price you mentioned . I do not want to hold your friend up though . They have had my application for six weeks so I should be hearing from them soon , they say it usually takes two to four weeks average . Does he have any good brass that can be bought with the rifle ? Been looking for some for over a year with no luck. I have two boxes of Remington factory loads but I usually try to keep at least 500 rounds of brass for everything I shoot and more when I can afford it . Prices for loaded ammo on GB have been ridicules . The two boxes I found wee on closeout at $45 down from $65 but were the only two that they had at he time and they haven't had anymore since.

Best Regards,
Eddie Southgate
Minor Hill , TN
Eddie Southgate

Re: Model 14 " The Meat Maker "

Jim,

This old rifle got it's deer this morning.
Attachments
9'oclockDeer 3 12-26-22.jpg
9'oclockDeer 3 12-26-22.jpg (79.48 KiB) Viewed 843 times
9'oclock Deer 1.jpg
9'oclock Deer 1.jpg (655.16 KiB) Viewed 843 times
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

OH Man!

You killed Bambi's dad on Christmas day!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson