Help with value of NY Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
de1216

Help with value of NY Rolling Block

Post by de1216 »

Good day folks,

I have had this NYS Contract Rolling Block for quite a while. Never cleaned it in any fashion, never obtained 50-70 ammunition to fire it. It is, in the photos, just as I got it.

I am considering parting with it, as I have obtained a Lee Shaver custom RB in 45-70, built around an original action in the style of the target model Rolling Blocks that were made years ago.

Trouble is, before I put it on consignment at a local shop that lists on Guns International, I need to come up with an asking price. These NY RBs are scarce online, and the few I find vary widely in price.

If any care to offer advice, I've included in this post a link to pictures on Imgur. Also photos of the Shaver custom just for fun.

Thanks.

DJ

NYS RB: https://imgur.com/a/JX1yGMg

Shaver custom: https://imgur.com/a/IjPUDxV
Bill Allen

Re: Help with value of NY Rolling Block

Post by Bill Allen »

I love these guns I actively buy every decent one that's not a crazy amount of money. Just paid 800 dollars for the same gun and they look to be in about equal shape The one I bought may be slightly cleaner but slightly. It's true as rolling blocks go there's not a ton of them around from N.Y> but there's a ton of rolling blocks floating around which keeps the price down. Like all my guns it'll be a shooter come spring. The gun between sales tax and shipping wound up being 903 about the limit I'd put into an average military rolling block. I have seen guys ask 1500 for 43 spanish which I think is crazy. I paid 450 for my 43 spanish in nice shape, So the value is whatever somebody is willing to pay.
de1216

Post by de1216 »

Thanks for the input. They really are all over the place with price, I saw one listing asking 1400+ and another asking 900.

Firearm prices are up across the board, more so for defense or hunting ones. Stuff like the RB are a personal nostalgic interest rather than "high speed tactical" tools.

Like baseball cards, it will sell for what someone is willing to put up for something they really want. I may start it on consignment a bit high in case someone wants to jump on it, lower the price as time goes by if it doesn't move. I have a project to fund, or I'd simply keep it as another piece for the sake of vintage interest. 20% commission for the listing eats
away at what I get in my hand for it.

Thanks again.....

D.
Bill Allen

Post by Bill Allen »

You'll see them all over the price spectrum hard to get any real idea of the condition from pictures. I try and buy in person not easy to do all the time but since there was a million of them they pop up all the time. Before I'd pay 20% i,d post it on some sites and see if there's any interest. These guns have a following but what's that worth in dollars and cents? Price it too high and it'll go no where too low and you'll leave money on the table. I watch them on line all the time your idea of the price range is spot on. Good luck Bill
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

As rare and unusual as a NYS Rolling Block is, it seems a fair number survived as I see them more often than the numbers would indicate. I have seen decent ones sell for $750-$1000, and asking prices don't mean much if the gun doesn't sell at the asking price.
I'd expect yours to sell in that range.