1858 New Model - serial number?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Gledford

1858 New Model - serial number?

Post by Gledford »

Hi, I've got a friend that has a 1858 New Model Army revolver that was handed down to him and it's in nice condition. I was wondering if someone could tell me when it was made and maybe if it was issued for the Civil War? Serial under the handles is 41922 so it appears newer than many of the 50XXX models I've seen folks asking about on here. Thanks!
aardq

Re: 1858 New Model - serial number?

Post by aardq »

Hi Gledford,

You friend's pistol was made in October of 1863. If it was part of a government contract it will have inspector's initials on the major parts, and a cartouche,( initials in an oval), on the left grip. Considering the date it was made, it seems likely that if a gov pistol, it would have been issued to some unit. Some guns were made for the civilian market and won't have the inspector initials or cartouche. The serial will also be on the underside of the barrel, and on the tab of the trigger guard.

Daniel
Gledford

Post by Gledford »

Thanks for the follow up. The handles might have been replaced so it's tough to tell. We'll look at the barrel and see what we can find. This has been fun trying to learn more about it.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Gledford,

The inspector's marks that you're looking for will be a single letter, on the bbl, the frame, and sometimes on the trigger guard. Most guns will have 2-3 separate initials on the frame and bbl. Apparently there was more than one inspector for the major components. Maybe each inspector checked something different, but that's just a guess.

Good luck with the search,
Daniel