new guy with rolling block questions

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Bill Allen

new guy with rolling block questions

Post by Bill Allen »

Just started to get into rolling blocks. Have three I have the standard questions that seem to come with them. All three have a 6 stamped on the barrel and two have both a 6 and a 7. The one I'm most curious about right now has a Belgium proof mark, 10'6 (43 spanish), HR,AR, C in what looks like a circle all of these and a couple I can't either make out or identify. All of these marks are under the fore arm near the action has no marks on it. It's a transformed action with stamps marking it 243 which I assume were to keep the parts together. The breech block has a semi circular cut in it and it has the "ears" or two piece face. Please excuse my terms I'm a newbie to all this. Two lines on the upper tang Remingtons illion NY USA second line, PAt May 3(R?) Nov 16 (1862?) April17th 188(6?)I'll post pictures as soon as I get my son to take them. I'm an old guy and tech challanged (LOL) After casting the other two I'm pretty certain they're reformando would anyone sell me a round for me to try it.s fit before I get any farther into this Thanks Bill
Bill Allen

Re: new guy with rolling block questions

Post by Bill Allen »

The other two I was checking a bit closer. we cast them and they have a "tapered" neck (not like a spanish with an actual step, yet a 43 spanish will chamber and seems to fit nicely) Measures about 2.23 to where the force ring and chamber start Casting is smooth until 1.55 inch's then starts a gentle taper which is about .7 inch's long the rifling start about .28 from where the mark from the brass is. Both guns are the same except one has both a 6 and 7 with the 7 perpendicular on top of the 7 and the other just a six. They both have small marks on the left side of the actions but I can't figure out what they are. Any ideas? thanks Bill
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd have to wait for pictures, before I can be much help.
Bill Allen

Post by Bill Allen »

Son just informed me he has covid so might be a bit till I can get picts up.