Model 8, 25 Remington Tech Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
MtnmanWY

Model 8, 25 Remington Tech Question

Post by MtnmanWY »

I inherited my grandfather's rifle, complete with the stories and flaws. He purchased it new, used it for provisions as my grandparents roamed the country. He told the story of the rifle being stolen near El Paso, attributing the loss to some of Pancho Villa's associates. Returning a short few years later, he inquired as to the recovery of weapons following the end of the Revolution. Led to a large warehouse filled with a variety of firearms, he was laughed at when he said that although he couldn't provide a serial number, he'd prove ownership if the rifle was located. When he spotted the rifle with the obvious sling mount soldered to the barrel jacket, the policeman doubted ownership. Grandpa told him to remove the fore end, and confirm the washer behind the takedown screw was cut from a Prince Albert's tobacco can. That darned washer is still there, but it's time to determine the thickness of a 'stock' washer. I'd really appreciate that specification; it's time to share the joy of shooting Grandpa's ol' gun with nieces, nephews, and of course my kids and grandkids!
model63

Re: Model 8, 25 Remington Tech Question

Post by model63 »

A quick check of the model 8's in my collection show no sign of a washer in the location you mention. Wondering if the prince albert piece you mention was installed as a shim of some sort to correct a loose connection. Just a guess on my part.
Eddie Southgate

Post by Eddie Southgate »

If the Prince Albert washer is still present and doing whatever job it was intended to do , why would you ever consider replacing it ? If my pap had put it in and I owned it , it would stay there till it rusted and fell out . At that point I would be looking for another Prince Albert tin to cut another washer from .
MtnmanWY

Post by MtnmanWY »

There is some slop when the take-down screw is tight, even with the shim he made from the tobacco can. Although the original manual doesn't show a shim/washer for the take-down lever, Grandpa said he lost the original one. As the original owner of the rifle, and knowing him to have been an extremely competent mechanic, I'm assuming he knew of what he spoke. Given that it was an earlier production model, with a latest patent date of Feb 11 1914, I'm curious about changes such as that washer over the production years.

Given that this is an antique, I doubt a headspace gauge is available, but would like feedback on some way to confirm the headspace other than winging it. All suggestions are welcome!
model63

Post by model63 »

Well you peaked my curiosity, so i headed back down and checked a couple more model 8's. One is a serial number in the 200's the other in the 2,000's so both quite early. if the washer you are referring to is the one which is embedded in the forearm, then upon inspection they all seem to have them, although they are covered in grime and difficult to see. they appear to function to hold the takedown screw captive in the forearm. Gunpartscorp shows this screw as number 59 and another image on the internet also show it as a "U" shaped washer, although none of those in my model 8's appear as U shaped. Not sure if this helps and as they appear to be embedded in the forearm i can't remove them to get you any measurements. Hopefully someone else has access to one and can list the thickness and size.