Bird's head 1875 prototype

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
eobard

Bird's head 1875 prototype

Post by eobard »

Hello all!

First timer, here.
I was literally blown away when I saw this photo of a Remington 1875 with a birdshead grip. Beautiful! But so far, that's still the only photo I've ever seen.

Does anyone have any more info as to its history, specs, why it was "abandoned", where it is now, etc.? Just as importantly, does anyone have more photos of this prototype?

Thanks in advance, good people!
- Merrill
Attachments
DSCN3335-edited-1024x942.jpg
DSCN3335-edited-1024x942.jpg (170.46 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
aardq

Re: Bird's head 1875 prototype

Post by aardq »

Hi Merill,

That is a very interesting pistol. I have seen a drawing, and a different photo of the gun. I think that it should have been produced, especially with a 5 3/4" bbl. It would be interesting to have a modern replica turned into one of these, but the cost would be prohibitive.

Remington, unlike Colt, had a cast, one piece frame, so you'd think that more than one would have been cast at the same time. We have no idea if there were other prototypes, nor when it was made. Possibly it was made just before E Remington went bankrupt. It could have been the start of a new series but the bankruptcy ended all pistol production, except for the Double Derringer.

The last that I knew, this gun was in a private collection. Just think of what it would bring at auction today? Maybe our 1875 expert, Bill T will jump in here and give us more info.

Daniel
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Merrill,

A PS to my previous post. Where did you find that photo?

Note that this gun has a rear sight dovetailed into the frame, and the front sight is a blade which is also dovetailed into the bbl. We may never know if this factory done, or a later owner? The bbl is nickel, The cylinder is blue, and the frame appears to also be nickeled.

In "The Guns of Remington," book, there is a similar gun on p204 which has a rounded back strap, but not a full birds head grip. It also has standard front sight, and no separate rear sight.

Feel free to speculate away to your heart's content, pending a discovery of factory records, we will never know the story behind these prototype pistols.

Daniel
eobard

Post by eobard »

Hi Daniel -

Thanks for your detailed reply!

I found that photo in the following site, and been obsessed since:
http://airgunhobbyist.com/wordpress/?page_id=811

As for the gun on p204, (I don't have the book, unfortunately) the below pic is the only gun I could think of with your description, although not exactly a rounded back or birdshead. That's not it, is it?

Thanks,
Merrill
Attachments
H0019-L114897224.jpg
H0019-L114897224.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
billt

Post by billt »

Hi Merrill,
The 1875 prototype revolver with the bird’s head grip is a replica. If you Google “Remington Bird’s Head 1875 Revolver” and go to the images, there is the same picture with a statement under it saying it is a Remington 1875 Replica – Airgun Hobbyist Magazine.
The other 1875 revolver with the experimental grip frame is the one pictured on page 204 in The Guns of Remington. It is batch number 24 and was owned by Slim Kohler. It was auctioned by James D Julia for $17,500 in April of 2017.

Bill
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.55.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.55.23 AM.png (2 MiB) Viewed 2232 times
Cloverleaf

Post by Cloverleaf »

Cool..................................................
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Merrill,

I was hoping that Bill T would jump back into this thread, after I PMed him with my 2 cents worth.

The gun that you asked about IS a real, experimental, or prototype pistol. Bill is right that the photo was on the Crossman Air gun site, but it is NOT a modern air gun. Reading the plaque, this gun was on display at the NRA Museum, when this photo was taken, and on loan from Remington. Crossman also posted several photos of real 1875s on their website, in an effort to promote their air gun copy of the 1875.

The photo you posted is a real Remington pistol. I wish that they would have produced a few thousand of these, but they didn't. Maybe this was an experiment about the time that ERS was in financial trouble and they just couldn't make any of these. Rem Arms took over in 1888, and didn't want to produce it, so we're left with a one off example. At least until another one shows up!

It would be interesting, and very expensive, to modify a currently made repo 75 into one of these. Maybe if I hit the lottery!!

Thanks for posting that photo.

Daniel