Turkish Rolling Blocks

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
lowenherzig55

Turkish Rolling Blocks

Post by lowenherzig55 »

Hi everyone, I purchased a Remingtom Rolling Block from a gentleman who told me it was a Turkish rifle. It has a star and crescent on it along with a lot of writing and numbers in Farsi. I have translated some of them. I wanted to purchase some ammunition for the gun and shoot a bit but I am not sure what ammunition it shoots. I purchased Egyptian Rolling Block ammo thinking it might be the same but no luck. I have been trying to read what I can find about these guns and from what I have read the Turks wanted to order them but did not for a lack of funding. I can put together some pictures and more information but I thought that I might see if I could get some feedback on my thoughts so far. If the Turks did buy some of these guns what caliber would they be? Thank you in advance for any replies.
marlinman93

Re: Turkish Rolling Blocks

Post by marlinman93 »

I've not heard or read of Turkey ever using Rolling Block military rifles. During the time they used the .43 Turkish cartridge they were using Peabody Martinis, and I believe that was around 1874-1887. So it wouldn't make sense to even buy Rolling Blocks in the same caliber?
I suppose it's possible that some group in Turkey bought used military Rolling Blocks, and imported them, so that might account for Turkish markings? It could be they are in .43 Mauser, or maybe .43 Egyptian?
lowenherzig55

Post by lowenherzig55 »

I am not as knowledgeable as most when it comes to the Rolling Blocks. I have read many books and online articles on the Rolling Blocks to gain knowledge. One of the most recommended books on the Rolling Blocks that I purchased is "Remington Rolling Blocks Military Rifles of the World" by George Layman. Until I read this book I was sure that the Turks had purchased Rolling Blocks because of the many sources that said they had. I have spent well over a year trying to find which ammo was used in a "Turkish" Rolling Block. I purchased two boxes of 43 Spanish rounds because many articles online said these were what was used. They are not even close! They are far too small in diameter. Someone suggested making a bore mold now which is what I am going to do. With the help of people like marlinman93 I hope to find the correct ammunition and the true history of this very interesting rifle. Right now I am a bit frustrated but I know that help is on the way. Thank you marlinman93 for you reply. I take it from you moniker you are also fond of Marlins. I am also very fond of the Marlin rifles, particularly the lever actions but more on that another time.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, a cerrosafe chamber casting is almost a must to confirm what you have. Rotometals in California sells the casting material cheaper than any place, and it's an easy task. Just remove the block and extractor, and stuff a small rag down the chamber until it's an inch or so into the rifling. Use a tin can with the edge bent to form a pour spout, and put some casting material into the can. Put water in a pot, and set the can in the water. Bring to a boil and the material melts at low temp. Once molten just pour it into the chamber slowly until it's full.
Use a cleaning rod to tap the chamber cast out, and then you can measure the chamber dimensions, and the groove diameter of the bore.

Yes, I've collected Marlin Ballard rifles, and pre WWI era lever guns for 40+ years. But I'm equally fond of Remington single shots in Rolling Blocks, and Hepburns for the same period. Tough to enjoy all three and spread gun funds amongst them all! I'm not well versed on the military rifles as my collection is all Sporting Rifles.
lowenherzig55

Post by lowenherzig55 »

I was told to purchase Sulfur Sublimed and follow a similar process. What do you think?
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Never used it, or heard of using it. I've always used cerrosafe or Rotometals version. I'd have to look it up, and see how it works, and if it shrinks much as it cools?
Bigskybound

Post by Bigskybound »

I have made quick and dirty chamber casts out of wax. Not accurate enough to have dies made, but good for better idea what cartridge you have.