Numbers matching 36 cal. 1858 but when was it made?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
superdave269

Numbers matching 36 cal. 1858 but when was it made?

Post by superdave269 »

Hi,
I hope some of you can help me gather some information on my 1858 Remington. It's a 36 cal. Under the rust I found what I believe are Military inspector marks, they look like a backwards "B". I found these on the barrel, cylinder and bottom of the frame covered by the grips. I found lots of serial numbers on it, under the barrel, under the trigger guard and on the grip frame. I had to soak it in oil for a few weeks before I could get it to move let alone apart. I made a couple of springs for it as well as replaced the paw or hand. It actually functions well now. I would love to know more about this revolver. I believe the 36 cal was made in much fewer quantities than the 44. I hope it is a true military piece dating back to the Civil War.
https://i.ibb.co/MG0r7M7/r1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/1dTz8Xq/r2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/G3pwWBM/1858-rem.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/b2TZmhK/r3.jpg
aardq

Re: Numbers matching 36 cal. 1858 but when was it made?

Post by aardq »

Hi

Yes,, the single,, small letters are inspector's marks. I don't see an inspector's cartouche on the left grip, but it may have been worn off, or a bad angle in the pic.

Your serial, 33079, was made in Oct. of 1865, so well after the CW had ended. The gun may have been assembled with previously inspected and marked parts, but wasn't for a military contract, so no cartouche. That is just a guess. The NMN was made until about 1880, with serials below 42,000 made as a percussion, and serials above made for cartridges, AKA conversions". You're correct that the NMN was made in smaller numbers than the NMA, 49,000 to 148,000. For future soaking guns, try Kroil, it is a very good penetrating fluid.

Welcome to the world of Remington,
Daniel
superdave269

Post by superdave269 »

Thank you for the reply. I apologize for not being clear with the serial number, it's 22079. So that would make it earlier than the date using 33079. Any idea when that places the manufacturing date? This is pretty exciting as I believe that it does place it in the civil war time frame.

I actually used a 50% mix of ATF and acetone as I call it poor man's rust buster.

I assumed the inspector's stamp on the grips were worn off many years ago.
aardq

Post by aardq »

If the number is 22079, it was made in May 1863. Does the bbl number match the other numbers?

Daniel
superdave269

Post by superdave269 »

Thanks again Daniel. The serial numbers do match. I found them on the bottom of the barrel as well as the frame under the grips, the trigger guard also has the matching serial number. The cylinder has the last 2 numbers on the ratchet.
I made a front sight for it out of a piece of brass. I was able to clean out 5 out of 6 nipples with a micro size drill bit. I would love to replace the 6th nipple but all of my nipple wrenches are to big.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

You may be able to drill (correct size) out the nipple and use an extractor to remove and replace the nipple. I've done that on several shotguns and Springfields with good success. Works with broken off bolts on lock plates as well.
Henry II

Post by Henry II »

You need to make a tight fitting nipple wrench head, out of a Kamasa Tools socket, using a Dremel cutter. The fit should be so tight, that the socket will have to be hammered down on the nipple. The socket needs a good wrench handle, and the action should be shock, short heavy blows on the handle with a mallet. You also need two tight fitting brass rods to stick into two juxtaposed chambers and fastened in a good vise, to hold the cylinder.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Your best bet may be to take it to a gunsmith who will have the tools, and the skills to remove the nipple without damaging the cylinder.

Daniel