Remington 141 carbine question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
cmv82207

Remington 141 carbine question

Post by cmv82207 »

Hello, I recently inherited a model 141 carbine 32 rem caliber, the receiver is marked 141 gamemaster and the barrel is marked 14-r. Serial number is 38XXX and was make in December of 1941, my question is the rear sight is the thumbwheel variety and the very few carbines I did find were the semi buckhorn style, is this correct for the gun or do I need to get a buckhorn sight? Any input is appreciated, thanks!
nambujim

Re: Remington 141 carbine question

Post by nambujim »

All the Model 141 Carbines utilized leftover Model 14 Barrels with a variety of markings so all the carbines had the dovetail along with the slot for the wheel sight. However, to the best of my knowledge all the 141 carbines were supplied with a 701-1/2 long leaf rear sight and a high front sight. Some of the early 141's used the 701 Buckhorn style that was the standard sight on 14's from about 1921 until the end of production. Your rifle most certainly did NOT come from the factory with a Wheel Sight but rather would have had the later 701 style that had a set screw in the leaf to lock the elevator, it was not a Buckhorn style but rather had a flat top notched rear portion.

Some shooters removed the rear sight when using a tang sight thinking it might interfere with the sight picture, it was common to fill in the two slots with the lower profile Wheel Sight, this might have been the case with yours.

Could you provide us with the full serial and barrel code so we can add your rifle to our data base.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson