Remington 1875

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
foxfirerodandgun

Remington 1875

Post by foxfirerodandgun »

I am considering purchasing two Moel 1875 Remingtons from a friend. Both are complete and in good antique condition, with patches of original finish remaining in protected areas. One is chambered in 44-40 with the number 272 stamped on the front of the cylinder and inside both wood grips, and the other one is chambered in 45 with period Ivory grips and no number on the cylinder. The grips have not been removed due to the fear of damaging them. My questions are is the 45 Government cartridge and the 45 Long Colt cartridge the same, or are the overall lengths different? Also, do the numbers 272 indicate the actual serial number on the 44-40. Many thanks for any, and all helpful comments. - James
billt

Re: Remington 1875

Post by billt »

Hello James,
In Don Ware’s article “Variations in Model 1875, Model 1888 and Model 1890 Revolvers” he states “Poor sales evidently prompted Remington to offer the revolver in the more popular .44-40 WCF and .45 Government calibers. The .45 Caliber revolver will accept either the .45 Colt or the .45 Government center-flre (sic) cartridge. However, in their advenisements, (sic) Remington always referred to the caliber as .45 Government.” From this I believe there are two different cartridges but I do not have the dimensions of either.
The serial/batch numbers on 1875 revolvers are found in three places on the revolver; on the frame under the left grip, on the loading gate arm and on the trigger guard tab. Sometimes they are penciled on the inside of the grips. I do not remember seeing a serial on the front of the cylinder but that does not mean it did not happen. I have seen assembly numbers stamped on the rear of the cylinder and other places indicating the revolver underwent some sort of rework.

Bill
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi James,

I hope that you get a good price on the pair. To add to what Bill T posted, the 45 government is a bastardized cartridge made because the Army also adopted the S&W Schofield revolver. Both then and now, many people believe that the 45 govt is the Schofield cartridge, but it is actually different from the Schofield. The case is the same length as the Schofield, but it has the rim size of the 45 Colt. Thus the Army only needed one 45 caliber cartridge to fit both the Colt and Schofields revolvers.

The dirty little secret is that Remington just bored the chambers straight through, thus they will accept both cartridges. It's great advertising to have a gun that uses the "45 Government" cartridge and also the 45 Colt.

Remington converted some 44 caliber guns to 45, and they usually have the letter "L" on the rear cylinder face. The 75s made in 45 usually have a "45" on the rear cylinder face. The serial (or assembly) number in the front cylinder face is unusual, but possible, and probably indicates that the cylinder needed a little hand fitting to the gun.

Where is the "45" marking, bbl, frame? Don't be afraid to remove the grips.

The 75s in 45 are rare guns, with some collectors believing that only about 1500 were made, including 1,000 for Mexico. They will have a liberty cap marking, and probably an "R d M" marking on the front frame, or the bbl.

Please send pic if you do buy them.

Good Luck,
Daniel
foxfirerodandgun

Post by foxfirerodandgun »

Thank you very much. I was able to access and print Mr. Ware's article. Very informative. - James