Dating a 1858 Army

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
RebelArmy71

Dating a 1858 Army

Post by RebelArmy71 »

Hi I recently purchased a 1858 Remington Army new model serial number 37925. I am trying to get a second opinion on the date of manufacture. I was told by a local gun shop that specializes in antique blackpowder weapons that this was most likely post civil war production possibly 1867 production appraise at roughly $800. I was taken back by this as all the information I found and was told by the seller that this was possibly late 1863 or early 1864. Does anyone information on it. I have a book by Donald L. Ware that claims approximately production was October of 1863. It has cartouche but not readable and multiple inspection marks which are intacked.
Thank you,
Sean
aardq

Re: Dating a 1858 Army

Post by aardq »

Hi Sean,

If you have Don's book, then you have the answers. Don's book is the "Bible" of the large frame revolvers. Yup, Oct of 1863 is the production date of your pistol. You may have also noticed that the production of the New Model Army stopped in March of 1865. Therefore, there are no post CW war NMAs, nor any "Indian War contract" NMAs. The NMA was issued to troops in the west, notably the all Black 9th., and 10th. Cavalry Regiments, but no post CW contracts. In fact, Remington actually bought back thousands of NMAs after the US declared them surplus.

Enjoy your pistol.
Daniel
RebelArmy71

Re: Dating a 1858 Army

Post by RebelArmy71 »

Thank for the information. I purchased the Remington in hope of completing my family's collection of our ancestors civil war belongs. He was in the Ohio 10th Calvary and we have records that he had a Remington but someone sold his original generations ago. When I was told that it wasn't civil war production I was pretty disappointed. Thanks again for the help.
Sean