proven methods to remove cylinder nipple

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
jduley2001

proven methods to remove cylinder nipple

Post by jduley2001 »

My 1863 Remington New Army .44 has the cylinder nipples difficult to remove. Soaking the cylinder in solvent and using hot and cold water had no success. My fear is breaking the nipple off in the cylinder. I am in need of some suggestions on how to best remove them without damage to the revolver. :?:
jcbsnipper

Re: proven methods to remove cylinder nipple

Post by jcbsnipper »

bonjour,
Je viens de rencontrer ce même problème sur le mien. J'ai finalement réussi à les enlever en percant progressivement de plus en plus gros et en utilisant des extracteurs. j'ai aussi chauffé pour faciliter le démontage. J'ai fini de casser au pointeau ce qui restait de cheminée. J'a acheté (cher) un taraud pour nettoyer ces filetages. Ce n'a pas été une mince affaire. Pour le taraud, je le louerai à prix modeste pour aider les mécaniciens en herbe.
Bon courage dans votre aventure...
Cdlt
aardq

Post by aardq »

This is an internet translation of the above post, so I have no idea how good it is. I suspect that he gave up on removing the nipples, and drilled them out, then re-cut the threads with a tap.

Post by jcbsnipper " Mon May 10, 2021 3 : 27 am
Good morning,
I just ran into this same problem on mine. I finally managed to remove them by gradually drilling bigger and bigger and using extractors. I also heated to facilitate disassembly. I finished breaking what was left of the chimney. I bought (expensive) a tap to clean these threads. It was no small matter. For the tap, I will rent it at a modest price to help aspiring mechanics.
Good luck in your adventure...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've never found taps or dies very expensive, some like 1/2 28 ;) you have to order but....