Older Remington 700

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
smed31

Older Remington 700

Post by smed31 »

I have an early Remington 700 ADL and I am trying to figure out the date of manufacture. The serial # is 650XX, it has the REP proof and a heart stamp, and the word Remington on the bottom of the barrel going into the forearm. There are no pre-fix letters or other marks. Since it does not have the letter prefixes I can't determine the age. All help much appreciated. It is a 264 Win mag.
Wulfman

Re: Older Remington 700

Post by Wulfman »

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

smed31 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:36 pm I have an early Remington 700 ADL and I am trying to figure out the date of manufacture. The serial # is 650XX, it has the REP proof and a heart stamp, and the word Remington on the bottom of the barrel going into the forearm. There are no pre-fix letters or other marks. Since it does not have the letter prefixes I can't determine the age. All help much appreciated. It is a 264 Win mag.
Thinking about this a bit more.......something sounds a little weird.
The word Remington should NOT be on the bottom of the barrel.....should be nearer the top but just above the fore end.
If the word Remington is on the bottom of the barrel, that might be a clue that the barrel had been "turned" for some reason.......like to fix some head spacing problem or that it had been re-bored or re-chambered for some reason.

You didn't mention your history with this rifle......only that you "have" it.
Care to elaborate?
Remington did produce a .264 Win. Magnum ADL in the 60s.
Barrel should be about 24". (measured from the end of the barrel to the vent hole on the right side of the receiver.
Are there front and rear sights on the barrel and are they (or the screw holes) on the top of the barrel where they're supposed to be?
Are the manufacture date codes where they're supposed to be on the left side of the barrel just above the stock and just forward of the receiver?

Anyway, more information needs to be brought forth on this situation.

AND......you posted this in the "Handgun" section of the forum instead of the "Rifle" section.

Den

smed31

Post by smed31 »

Wulfman what you say about the barrel being turned is 100% correct and I never would have thought of that. The history: a friend of mine in Texas acquired this rifle in the early 70's when he was getting his PhD in Geology in Laramie. He said that he bought it from a local gunsmith but he is not a big gun guy and could give no further details. The barrel is 24" and the smith put a really weird looking round compensator with two small cuts on the top side on the barrel. The screw holes for the front sight (now I know what they are) are rotated to the left side of the rifle about 50 degrees. It has a very nice trigger which appears to original but?

My friend antelope hunted with it once or twice and never shot it again as far as I know. He claims it to be very accurate but I have not shot it yet as I am still gathering 264 reloading materials. I took the barrel off and it says "264 Win Magnum Stainless Steel" but it has been blued. The bedding in the stock looks professional and very well done, it is tight. The barrel code is 1 C K X which will require some more study because it doesn't seem to correlate to the Remington codes in any way that I can make sense of.
By the way, it is fitted with a still very clear and usable Leupold M8 4X.

Thank you very much for your response and input!
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

smed31 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:35 pm Wulfman what you say about the barrel being turned is 100% correct and I never would have thought of that. The history: a friend of mine in Texas acquired this rifle in the early 70's when he was getting his PhD in Geology in Laramie. He said that he bought it from a local gunsmith but he is not a big gun guy and could give no further details. The barrel is 24" and the smith put a really weird looking round compensator with two small cuts on the top side on the barrel. The screw holes for the front sight (now I know what they are) are rotated to the left side of the rifle about 50 degrees. It has a very nice trigger which appears to original but?

My friend antelope hunted with it once or twice and never shot it again as far as I know. He claims it to be very accurate but I have not shot it yet as I am still gathering 264 reloading materials. I took the barrel off and it says "264 Win Magnum Stainless Steel" but it has been blued. The bedding in the stock looks professional and very well done, it is tight. The barrel code is 1 C K X which will require some more study because it doesn't seem to correlate to the Remington codes in any way that I can make sense of.
By the way, it is fitted with a still very clear and usable Leupold M8 4X.

Thank you very much for your response and input!
https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

April 1963

As far as your loading components.......years ago I purchased "a quantity" of nickel plated 7mm Remington Mag brass and ran them through a .264 die. The .264 brass was hard to find back then, too, but the nickel plated 7mm Mag. was not. And, since I also have a 7mm Remington Mag, I only used brass cases in the 7mm and only the nickel plated brass for my .264.

Another item. The "bluing" on those old stainless steel barrels was actually a type of black oxide coating they used to resemble bluing. It had a tendency to pit over time.......little pin point holes where the oxide flaked off.

Good luck!

Den