Researching SN and info for my 1st purchase

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Johnny676767

Researching SN and info for my 1st purchase

Post by Johnny676767 »

Hello,

This is my first post.

I am new to gun collecting, but I am focusing on Civil War era items. I recently purchased my first musket but am looking for a revolver. I decided I would like a Remington New Model Army. I think I found a good candidate but would appreciate any advice you might have.

It’s for sale on a dealer’s website, so I won’t post the link in case that’s not allowed. This is the information I have:

It has the 1858 patent marking with New-Model across the top of the barrel.
It is marked with either a C and/or W on the bottom of the grips, on the trigger guard and on the frame near the cylinder. It also has the cartouche on the left grip - it’s BH. Serial number is listed as 60803. It’s not in the pictures, so I don’t know location.

By the way, I new to look for these markings because of the other posts I read on this website. So, thanks already! I would appreciate any information, especially regarding manufacture date and issuance.

Thank you
aardq

Re: Researching SN and info for my 1st purchase

Post by aardq »

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the wacky world of Remingtons! In the world of gun collecting, condition is everything. You're always better off to buy an 80% gun than a 60% one. Having said that, buy what you like, in the best condition that you can afford.

Your NMA was made in March 1864. The BH cartouche is the final acceptance stamp for the gun. BH was Benjamin Hannis, who was a principal sub-inspector.

We have no info on who the guns were issued to, and in fact, don't have any similar info on this site. There are places that you can search, but it can get complicated. The National Archives is one place, and also Springfield Research Service. Some times you can even find out the name and unit of the soldier who was issued a particular gun. Maybe even a photo of the soldier.

Serial numbers are located on the lower, left grip frame, under the grip. Also on the bottom of the barrel, and on the inside of the trigger guard tab. Sometimes on the rear of the cylinder, indicating that some hand fitting was required.

Gun collecting is a very interesting and fascinating hobby. And, sometimes, a frustrating one.

Good luck
Daniel
Johnny676767

Post by Johnny676767 »

Thanks for that information.

I am looking at another one- actually previewing at an auction house today with serial number 91074. That’s quite a jump from my earlier example. Would that place it outside CW manufacturing dates?

Is there a reference for the serial numbers, so I don’t bother you by asking individually?

I guess I’m just interested in a gun made during the war so I can think it least it might have been used.

Thanks again
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Johnny,

Serial 91,074 would have been made in Aug, 1864.

NMA serial numbers. Starting about Sept or Oct of 1864, the US decided that it had meet it’s current needs, and most of the production after that was stored for further use. Not all, but most.

NMA serials 20,000 to 101,200 were made and accepted for service, from May 63, to Sept. 64. Number 101,300 to 148,000 were Made Oct 64 to Mar. 65. They were accepted, and most likely held in reserve.

Please keep in mind that the above is just a generality, and we all know what they are worth! Some guns were put in storage during the entire production, most were issued. Some of that CW reserve went to arm the western cavalry. Some were probably sold off after the war. Just no way to tell.

Remington never forgot the civilian market during the war, and some of their production was for the civilian market, especially after the war. Some pistols refused for US service were sold on the civilian market. The clues to military use are the inspectors’ marks, and the final acceptance cartouche on the left grip.

Good luck in your search.
Daniel
Last edited by aardq on Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aardq

Post by aardq »

PS. Posting links to show members what you are talking about isn't against the rules. Asking if its worth the asking price is frowned upon.
Daniel