Model 30-S markings and serial numbers

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
mckinney

Model 30-S markings and serial numbers

Post by mckinney »

I recently acquired what I thought was a Model 30-S in .35 Remington, a rifle I had been looking for for a long time. The serial number is in the 9,000 range. Looking at my other 30-S rifles I noticed that they all have serial numbers in the 20,000+ range and that they all have aperture sights. The receiver marking on the rifle I bought is "30 Express" not "30-S Express" and it has no aperture sight. I'm now thinking it is not an original 30-S but rather a Model 30 in a 30-S stock. Also I see that the Blue Book of Gun Values states that the 30-S was made in .25 Rem, 7x57, .30-06 and .257 Roberts. No mention of .30 Rem, .32 Rem, or .35 Rem.

I'd be grateful if anyone could comment on:

Whether there was a serial number cutoff between the 30 and 30-S?

Whether the 30-S was ever made in .30, .32, or .35 Remington

Whether early 30-S rifles were ever marked "30 Express" without the S

Whether there is a definitive way to tell whether a 30-S is original.

Whether any 30-S rifles were made without aperture sights.

I think I may have jumped on this rifle too eagerly and, worse, that there may be no such thing as an original 30-S in .35 Remington.

many thanks
mckinney

Re: Model 30-S markings and serial numbers

Post by mckinney »

Since posting this question I have obtained back issues of the RSA Journals for December 2012 and December 2014. The December 2014 journal contains many beautiful color photos of the Remington 30A. The December 2012 contains an excellent article by John F. Lacy on the 30A and 30-S rifles.

I thought I would share what I have learned about my rifle for the benefit of anyone reading this post, since there have been a number of views but no responses.

Firstly, the 30-S was not catalogued in .35 Remington. It was catalogued in .30-06, .25 Remington, 7mm Mauser, and .257 Roberts only. As to special order chamberings, Lacy mentions that three late examples exist in .270 WCF. I recall seeing two 30-S rifles, one in 7.65 mm and the other in 9x57 on Monty Whitley's website back in 2007/8. I believe the receivers were marked 30-S. The stocks were clearly 30-S. I recently asked Monty if he still had the photos - no unfortunately. These examples are not mentioned in Lacy's piece.

I have seen no mention anywhere of a special order 30-S in .35 Remington. Therefore my rifle is very likely a Model 30/30-S "transitional" rifle. To make a longer story short, the 30-S stock was offered as a special order item by Remington for a time before the 30-S was officially introduced. In addition, stocks were available from Belding & Mull in conjunction with their scopes and mounts. There were apparently a number of .25 Remington rifles fitted with the 30-S stock from B&M. I think I have a .25 Remington 30/30-S transitional rifle, but I do not have any rifles with the B&M scopes and mounts. According to Lacy, these rifles are very desirable.

So....no factory rifles marked 30-S in .35 Remington (unless a special order rifle is out there somewhere). And....lots of other great information in the Lacy article. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in these rifles.