1894 double shotgun screws needed

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Flinter991

1894 double shotgun screws needed

Post by Flinter991 »

Gentlemen:
I have an 2894 double damascus12 gauge. It needs two screws, the font one for the fore-end tip and the large screw in the triggerplate, directly in front of and underneath the trigger guard. I can see that this somehow bears on the seat pin, but don't know how or if some detent goes under it.

I haven't found the screws in the usual parts houses, and cannot find a reference as to their size and threads-per-inch to have them made or replaced with standard (Brownells) screws.

Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. As you know, detailed takedown instructions or complete part listings are nearly non-existent.

The bores seem pretty good and the gun locks up tight. External finish is poor/grey patina and the butt was shortened and badly cracked. The safety plunger spring (part #37) was broken and I have made a temporary replacement for that. I've repaired the butt and added a vintage recoil pad with an eye to shooting it with black powder equivalent loads.
Flinter991

Re: 1894 double shotgun screws needed

Post by Flinter991 »

I found a Weaver scope ring or base screw that worked for the missing forearm screw, so that one was approximately 6x48... I think.
I still need a trigger plate screw for the 1894. It seems to have a head diameter of .301" a shaft diameter of .173", a shaft length of .26" and I think it has about 40 threads per inch. It could be something like a 9-40 or such.
This would be really offbeat these days but not unusual, in that manufacturers apparently didn't adopt SAE standards until sometime around WWI. Chilcoine's book on Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West has good tables for original Colts, Winchester's, and S&Ws but little on Remington's. Now, I lack the ability to make screws on a lathe so I'm looking for ANY trigger plate screw for the 1894 or 1900, and am willing to clean up and use "buggered" ones that one of you may have replaced. Do any of you have some in your junk parts drawers that you could part with?