Model 25 woes

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dandak

Model 25 woes

Post by dandak »

Boy Remington engineers sure complicated things! I can figure out Colts and Winchesters...but Remington is another story.....!!!

Have a Model 25 in 25-20. Has a few issues. First of all the action will not cycle if the internal hammer is down. That is, the forearm will retract the bolt about 1/2" and then stop solidly. If I push the bolt release in front of the trigger the action can be opened the rest of the way which cocks the hammer. Once the internal hammer is cocked I of course need to push the bolt release to cycle the action which is as it should be. Ok thats problem one. So I load a few rounds (using factory ammo (both Rem and Win)), push up the bolt release, cycle the action and....the ammo will not rise into the action. I can see it sitting in the bottom of the action and whatever is supposed to lift it up doesnt. Problem 3, I manually place a round in the chamber and close it. Nice lock up. It fires fine. Has a nice bore. I hold the bolt release and cycle the action open. The empty round extracts but does not eject. Yikes. And yes the ejector components are all there.

My hunch is all 3 are related. I took it 100% apart and compared the parts to a parts diagram. I can find nothing missing. Is something bent/broken or worn? I am a retired tool and die maker and spent a large part of my life rebuilding worn dies and molds so by nature I examined each part under magnification and found nothing glaringly obvious. I'm going to give this the old college try and if there is no solution will either grease it up and set it aside, or part it out. I thought I learned my lesson about Remington with a model 14 but evidently I am a slow learner!!!
dandak

Re: Model 25 woes

Post by dandak »

Well I can answer 2 of my problems right now!! I just took the stock off (I had to make a new one) to see if I remembered to drill a small clearance hole for the bolt to retract into. NOPE!!! Boy do I feel stupid! So I carefully drilled/chiseled a hole and reassembled the gun. Now the pump handle slides back farther which is enough to activate the lifter and the ejector. So I am only left with only 1 problem: that of having to activate the bolt release to operate the action.
Eddie Southgate

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Anything further to report ? I am assuming this is an issue when the hammer is at rest as well as when cocked ? Mine won't lift the front of the cartridge unless I screw the takedown screw out and slightly tip the rear action section . At that point it does tip up as the slide goes forward but the cartridge is not perfectly inline with the chamber . Still looking for someone that knows how to work one one of these . Mine is a 25-50 and is light enough to be a perfect woods walking rifle but like it is it's basically a fancy single shot .

Eddie
dandak

Post by dandak »

Sorry for the delay. I wound up parting the gun out online and at gun shows. I just could never get it to work and would feel real bad selling it to someone else in that condition. Sorry I am of no help. I work on Winchesters all the time and they are pretty easy to figure out, but these forays into Remington firearms are really frustrating!