Rolling Block #1 Barrel replacement

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
dtrsss

Re: Rolling Block #1 Barrel replacement

Post by dtrsss »

Oregunsmithing said to rechamber in 450 or 50 Alaskan. I am not familiar with any old ammo so I will have to look into these. I am looking for cost effective ammo and that is one reason I like the 45-70. I did want to keep the round at least something the Rolling Block used but neither of those choices falls under that from what I can tell.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Well your first statement about never have reloaded pretty much kept your hands tied from success with this rifle. It's not easy to find loaded .43 Spanish ammo, and those at Oregun Gunsmithing are not giving you good advice by directing you to go to .450 or .50 Alaskan. Neither in factory loads will make them a safe load for a gun that should be kept below 25,000 cup. Both of those calibers push close to 40,000 and will blow up a old Rolling Block.
dtrsss

Post by dtrsss »

In order to make this work as is, I would have to reload 43 in a 348 WCF case. I have read that people have done it as that was a normal thing to do at one point many years ago and that a number of these were converted to do just that. I believe it was because the 43 cases were scarce and 348 was something that would work.

The Alaskan rounds are too rare and too expensive anyhow but it does remind me to check on pressure.

I did ask if they could rechamber this to 45-70 and will see what the response is on that.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

.348 cases are available from places like Buffalo Arms, but still expensive. But they can be fire formed using a light charge of Bullseye powder, with Cream of Wheat filled to the top over the charge to blow them out to .43 caliber.
So if you reload they can be easily made. And once you've got enough for use they will last forever at the kind of loads a .43 Mauser or Spanish runs.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I noticed the OP decided to sell his rifle rather than
attempt having it re-barreled or re-lining the barrel.
It is currently up on GunBroker (Item # 866372153).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

wlw-19958 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:27 pm Hi There,

I noticed the OP decided to sell his rifle rather than
attempt having it re-barreled or re-lining the barrel.
It is currently up on GunBroker (Item # 866372153).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
With a starting price like that he'll still have it when the auction time runs out.
jon_norstog

Post by jon_norstog »

Hello dtress! I inherited an Argy from my late father that had been converted to .44 magnum. I had an old .43 barrel and I gave it to a 'smith in Albuquerque to copy the [profile for a new barrel in 45-70. It looks like an original! He suggested i go with a 24" bbl length and I did. The rifle balances a lot better than the original carbine and it burns more of the powder than the short barrel. The blank had very deep Whitworth-style rifling and it doesn't foul up. I can shoot 20 rounds and it doesn't change the point of impact.

My advice is find a 'smith and have a new barrel made up.

jn