Remington 1889 SxS (1893 prod.) Restoration.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
mcpig

Remington 1889 SxS (1893 prod.) Restoration.

Post by mcpig »

Folks,

I have a hand-me-down 1889 Remington SxS (1893 production S/N range) that is a family hand-me-down from my GGGrandfather. It developed a crack in the lock area and the locks fell out. I am looking for a reliable repair/restoration service. Don't want to make it a shooter, just get it back together and restored to a decent condition. Other than the stock the gun is in fairly good shape.

Thanks,
Bill Liddell
paul harm

Re: Remington 1889 SxS (1893 prod.) Restoration.

Post by paul harm »

There is a screw going from one lock to the other. How did the locks fall out from a crack ?
mcpig

Post by mcpig »

I took the locks off thinking they were causing the pressure that cracked the stock. "Fell out" was a poor word choice. Maybe a bad plan on my part. Looks like most the "known" smiths are OOB now. I got one nibble who asked for photos' and I am going to send him those, place in California. This was a "working" hunter gun, and I don't think it's one of the high value guns, although GGGfather had the bucks. It does have the damascus barrels, but I think there were several quality levels of barrels some with damascus and non damascus finishes.

Like I said earlier I am more interested in it's being fixed and reassembled by someone with smithing skills rather than try it myself. There is no one I know of in my area of Central Virginia I would trust. I have seen some real bad 1911 feed ramp jobs from a local supposed "gunsmith" that left fired cases bulging and the barrel had to be replaced. I'd not trust him with anything, much less a S/G with sentimental value.

Any advice appreciated.

William Liddell
Gloucester VA
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Bill You are right about fixing your gun. I have been collecting and working on Remington Doubles for awhile there are pictures of my doubles in Remington Doubles book. call me. We can see what going on with your double 330-669-2138 Jake Also I am careful about my repairs.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Sounds like twoshooter will take care of you. I have a 73, 82, 89, and six 94s. Remington barrels, Damascus and steel, were all good barrels. Some Damascus like on my C grade 94 were just fancier, not any stronger. Remington proofed all their barrels for nitro loads. Maybe the wood dried out a lot allowing the locks to be loose in them. Normally the locks had a very tight fit all the way around and wouldn't fall out. Over the years I made around 15 muzzle loaders and know what it takes to get a tight fit with the locks and Remington had a suburb fit. Good luck with getting it fixed up and please go out and shoot it like it was intended to do. Paul