Rem Rolling Block model and cartridge

Sign the guestbook
BobRiggs

Rem Rolling Block model and cartridge

Post by BobRiggs »

I have a somewhat "different" rolling block, and hope someone can help me figure out model and cartridge for it. Gun was handed down to me ~30 years ago. I am not very knowledgeable about these, but from what I have been able to learn from internet, it "looks like" a No. 4, but it is not inscribed as such, and it does not match written descriptions for that particular model, except that it is quite diminutive (scaled down in all dimensions). The basic statistics are as follows: (1) top of barrel states "Remington Arms Co. Illion N.Y."; (2) bottom of barrel gives serial no. 91217, and caliber 32. That is all of the inscriptions. Also, it is an original center fire, not a rimfire (which as I understand is not possible for a No. 4). It has half-moon butt plate and a butt stock that is pretty close to "perch belly", but not as pronounced in that regard as some that I have seen. Basically appears all original w/out modifications. We poured a chamber casting and it measured quite close to a .32-20 win, but in Cartridges of the World we found a .32-30 Remington pictured, with note that it was discontinued ~1918. So, we are just guessing that it is supposed to shoot a .32-30 Rem centerfire, not .32-20 win.

Can anyone help me figure out exactly what I have? Could it possibly be a diminutive No. 1? Also, IF it is likely a .32-30 Rem, does anyone have the case dimensions for that cartridge? Its a family heirloom but in really good shape, certainly shootable if we can figure the right cartridge for it. Thank you for any help you can offer. Bob R.
stanforth

Re: Rem Rolling Block model and cartridge

Post by stanforth »

Nonte 'Home guide to cartridge conversions give the following information.32/30 Reington Rimmed Bottleneck.

Rim diameter .432
Dead diameter .377
Case length 1.62".
Form this case from 352 Win SL. Spin case to 1.62" length; Neck down and set shoulder back with 32/20 Lyman neck sizing die till breech will close; Fire form.

.357 Magnum case may be used but will be.035" - .040" short.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Pictures? As far as case dimensions, remember, no SAAMI specs back then. I am looking at a 32-30 in "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions, 4th Ed." by Donnelly & Donnelly.

'About 1884'

Make from 357 Max/~.030 short but fine.

Orig specs shown
case length: 1.64"
Head Dia: .378"
Rim Dia: .437"
very short shoulder: .115"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BobRiggs wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:06 pm I have a somewhat "different" rolling block, and hope someone can help me figure out model and cartridge for it. Gun was handed down to me ~30 years ago. I am not very knowledgeable about these, but from what I have been able to learn from internet, it "looks like" a No. 4, but it is not inscribed as such, and it does not match written descriptions for that particular model, except that it is quite diminutive (scaled down in all dimensions). The basic statistics are as follows: (1) top of barrel states "Remington Arms Co. Illion N.Y."; (2) bottom of barrel gives serial no. 91217, and caliber 32. That is all of the inscriptions. Also, it is an original center fire, not a rimfire (which as I understand is not possible for a No. 4). It has half-moon butt plate and a butt stock that is pretty close to "perch belly", but not as pronounced in that regard as some that I have seen. Basically appears all original w/out modifications. We poured a chamber casting and it measured quite close to a .32-20 win, but in Cartridges of the World we found a .32-30 Remington pictured, with note that it was discontinued ~1918. So, we are just guessing that it is supposed to shoot a .32-30 Rem centerfire, not .32-20 win.

Can anyone help me figure out exactly what I have? Could it possibly be a diminutive No. 1? Also, IF it is likely a .32-30 Rem, does anyone have the case dimensions for that cartridge? Its a family heirloom but in really good shape, certainly shootable if we can figure the right cartridge for it. Thank you for any help you can offer. Bob R.
The Model 4 came out in 1904 so going out in 1918 I'm not sure means a lot.
Making a rimfire into a centerfire is typically not so hard, I've even made pinfire's into center fires (I was bored).

Pictures????