Oddball Remington Auto Shotgun

Sign the guestbook
w18764560

Oddball Remington Auto Shotgun

Post by w18764560 »

Greetings to all!!!
Ive obtained a pre M11 Remington 12 gauge, serial #71xxx. Appears to be military receiver as its marked US on left side forward section with flaming bomb and the letter P above the bomb.
The barrel, I think is not original as date code ‘EYY’ , rollmarked Remington Arms Co, Inc. Ilion, NY Made in USA.
Forearm wood I believe is Military as its smooth with no finger groove. Buttstock has been sanded smooth so I can see no markings/cartouche. Buttplate smooth black hard rubber with proper slot screws. I am wondering what years would have the sliding safety as this one has push button safety at rear of guard.
The trigger guards finish appears to match the receivers finish.
Questions are...what year is receiver?What does the ‘P’ above the bomb, and the ‘s’ ‘M’ on the tang indicate?
Thx in advance
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by w18764560 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowlgunner

Re: Oddball Remington Auto Shotgun

Post by Fowlgunner »

Steve,

I can't get there from here.

I do not have a clue about the stampings but the bolt, bolt handle, and carrier button are all much later than the serial number you give.

Also the barrel will be stamped with a serial number under the magazine tube ring. That may answer some of your questions.

A good photo of the entire sides of both left and right receiver and the serial number would help tremendously.

Will
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

Hi Will
Here is some more pics...it has 25” barrel marked ,imp cyl, which would be correct for a martial gun I assume, no other marks except rollmarked Remington etc...
My reasoning behind all the questions is because it needs wood, should I refit it for shooting or, in the case of it being an arsenal refit/rebuild should I restock with what appears to me to be military grade wood?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by w18764560 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

More pics...this old girl was rescued from the dead, it was given to me bye an old gentleman I did some clean up work for. We found it in an old shed on his property and it wasnt pretty to say the least. I spent many many hours with steel wool and Kroil and she slowly came back to life! To my amazement the brunt of the damage is wood! Extremely small amount of pitting, action function after my overhaul/cleaning is very, very smooth.
Last edited by w18764560 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Well the pictures bring on about as many questions as they answer for me.

Maybe researcher will chime in but it appears to be a early (1907) serial number on a gun that has been machined and fitted with much later equipment, ie. locking carrier screw, carrier button, trigger group.

May have been donated gun to the war effort that was reworked to get into working order for military use.

Did you find the serial number on the barrel on the ramp that connects the barrel ring? A picture of it and the stamping on top will help.

Will
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

No markings on or near the barrel ring🙁
Date code I think by the way I read it is EYY? Which I think is ‘52 which then makes less sense..
Last edited by w18764560 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

A few more pics...Magazine cap and barrel markings.
The forend stumps me, though I dont profess to be an expert on Rem shotguns, I have yet to see a forend like this. Smooth and no finger groove.
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Yes much later barrel.

If you take the stock off you can find the serial number of the trigger group stamped on it.

That would dictate what series replacement stock you would have but I believe it would be a Series 3 stock.

They are available from a few stock companies.

Good Luck,

Will
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

Thx Will,
Wow! I never noticed the serial number on the trigger group until you said where to look...now Im more confused....
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Does the trigger group have a slot in it for a push safety just ahead of the trigger?

If so the re-machined the trigger group to accept the later behind the trigger safety and used a new style trigger.

Frankenstein! Lol

That would put it a Series 1 replacement stock.

Will
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

No slot but there is a distinct small number 2 stamped into the foward flat(near the shell carrier)of the trigger assy
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

Would the bolt or any other internals have serial numbers or other identifying
marks I missed?
Ive had this gun for a few years, so its been that long since disassembly, and I dont recollect any prominent markings...
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

The original Remington stock would be serialized in the bottom tang slot but that is it.

If you look at the replacement stock suppliers sites they outline the different Series of stocks for the Model 11 and at least one of them I remember gave the bottom tang length dimension the would fit each series.

May be the only way to be certain of fit.

Will
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

E = October, YY = 1952 and I seem to recall the 2 = Replacement Barrel.
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

So that would be the factory replacement of the barrel?