1879 Modelo Argentino

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Chris

1879 Modelo Argentino

Post by Chris »

Some time ago, my grandfather bought what appeared to be a very old rifle. It was passed to my dad before my grandpa died, and was passed to me earlier last week.

Upon cleaning the rifle, I discovered that it was a .43 Remington 1879 Modelo Argentino infantry rifle. The EN stamped behind the rear sight denotes this I believe.

The rifle is in excellent condition with the original leather shoulder strap still attached, and cleaning rod.

I would like to know what to look for and how to tell if the rifle has been reblued and rechambered. It does not look re-finished, but I want to make sure. Is there also somewhere I can go to see what the rifle is worth? So far, I believe the price is between $600 and $800. Also, how rare are these rifles?

Thank you for all the help. I apologize for not having a picture.
Ed Hull

Modelo Argentino 1879

Post by Ed Hull »

Your Modelo Argentino is not rare, as thousands were re-imported to this country in the 1950s and later. Most were refinished, purportedly at an Argentine arsenal, before importation and are usually totally reblued. The original finish was a blued barrel and a brightly case colored frame and furniture (buttplate, barrel bands, etc.). The top flat at the rear of the barrel should have the marking clearly stamped, "MODELO ARGENTINO 1879 E.N." If all of this marking is not clear, it is an indication that the barrel was polished and refinished. The lower dollar value you mention--for one in top refinished condition, and shootable--is about right. They can commonly be bought at gun shows for under $500. A gunsmith can tell you if it has been rechambered. Some were rechambered in Argentina for 11mm Mauser and have a marking of "11MM" stamped at the rear of the barrel.