Remington New Model Pocket, 1st Model (Brass frame), .31

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Tarheelrebel

Remington New Model Pocket, 1st Model (Brass frame), .31

Post by Tarheelrebel »

Anyone have info on when serial number 56,672 was likely manufactured? Percussion with 3.5" bbl.
aardq

Re: Remington New Model Pocket, 1st Model (Brass frame), .31

Post by aardq »

Are you sure that the frame is brass? Only about 650 brass frame pockets are believed to have been made, so a brass frame pocket should have a number below 1000. Some people believe that the brass frames were made overlapping the iron frames and that explains the why there are brass frames with 4-digit serials. Do the numbers match? After 1873, Remington made all their pistols as cartridge conversion models. A pocket model with a high 5-digit number should be a cartridge model.

I'm also interested in knowing the answer, and hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in here and educate us both.
Dan
jbw

Post by jbw »

According to http://www.american-firearms.com/americ ... 0Sons.html only 26000 were produced, and I have an iron framed no. 5093 with iron triggerguard and 4" barrel
TomTownUSA

Post by TomTownUSA »

I own an original antique 31 cal percussion pocket with a full brass frame including the trigger guard.. Slim grips and 3" barrel... serial number 100... ebony grips are perfect, name on barrel top appears show only REM and the rest is gone due to pitting.. The other sides of the barrel are smooth.. all the screws appear in good condition with NO signs of using a screwdriver. Working order is not perfect.. you need to push the trigger forward, then the double click cocking works, turning and locking the cylinder. Original blue on the cylinder, no pitting and good cap nipples. IT WAS MY UNDERSTANDING FROM READING THE SOCIETY MEMBER MAG THAT ONLY THE FIRST 120 OR 150 HAD FULL BRASS FRAME AND TRIGGER GUARD... I READ IN THE FORUM TODAY WHERE SOMEONE, aardq , suggested there were 650 made in 1863. I am 83 and liquidating some of my collections SO THIS PIECE ALONG WITH ANOTHER NOT GREAT CONDITION STEEL FRAME WITH BRASS TRIGGER GUARD, SN 750.
Currently I have not taken photos so just talk for now... pictures to come with serious buyer requests... THIS IS A TRULY RARE ORIGINAL CONDITION REMINGTON, ONCE IN A LIFETIME CHANCE TO OWN.

I AM NOT SURE ABOUT RECEIVING RESPONSES TO THIS POST... IT HAS BEEN MANY YEARS SINCE USING THE FORUM... PLUS SINCE I AM not A SOCIETY MEMBER ANYMORE i may not be able to receive any response.. REQUEST OHIO GUN COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION ASKING FOR CONTACT INFO FOR THOMAS CLAPPER, THEY WILL PASS ON YOU REQUEST FOR MY APPROVAL.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Tom,

The problem with Remington is their production methods and the fact they never threw anything away. They made parts and put them into a bin. when parts were needed they were pulled from the bin. More parts were made, and they went into the same bin. The first brass trigger guards could have laid in the bottom of a parts bin for a while before being used, and thus were put on iron frames. There were probably iron trigger guards in the parts bin on top of the brass trigger guards, and thus some were put on brass frames. This is why it's hard to tell accurately when parts changes were made.

My 650 reference was to the brass frames, not the trigger guards. The brass frames were the first made, and they can have brass or iron trigger guards. Iron frames may also have brass or iron trigger guards, which means there are 4 different variations. And we have no idea when the change was made. Frames were iron not steel.

I'm sure that you and I met at one of the OGCA shows a few years ago. Maybe you had Pocket Models on your table? Or other Remmies?

Post your for sale guns here to get the best response.

Daniel