Remington Elliot U/O Derringer - Type I Late Production

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
pbrowne

Remington Elliot U/O Derringer - Type I Late Production

Post by pbrowne »

I recently acquired a Remington Elliot U/O Derringer Type I Late Production (Model 2) - two line 'E. REMINGTON & SONS' address with the 'ELLIOT’S PATENT DEC 12TH 1865' patent marking and with manual ejector. Near mint with all the original nickel finish.

The gun has seven small barely visible numbers (936 60 50) neatly engraved in cursive style on the bottom of the frame in three lines. The numbers are not batch numbers, as the batch number is properly stamped under the barrel as '1341'. It was suggested by the dealer that the numbers may be an old police department accession number.

Any ideas what these numbers might be?

The dealer stated that the gun was manufactured 1871-1873, though Flayderman states that this type was produced between 1868 and 1888, and batch numbers can't be used to date these guns.

aardq

Re: Remington Elliot U/O Derringer - Type I Late Production

Post by aardq »

The model or type designations of these guns is still under debate, but is leaning towards all 1st. models marked in the side ribs. The two line guns are the 2nd model. These guns were serialized in the beginning, but later were batch numbered. These guns were made from 1872 to 1888 with a total believed to be 12,000, although some believe 18,000.

There is no way to know what the additional numbers mean without a known reference about those numbers.
Dan