Remington 12 Ga double barrel Lifter

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dubcity

Remington 12 Ga double barrel Lifter

Post by dubcity »

I have a Remington double barrel serial number 3728. I'm not sure of the model or Grade. The gun has two barrels. One is a 30" Damascus stamped E REMINGTON & SONS ILION NY. The other is 24" stamped REMINGTON ARMS CO. ILION NY. Both barrels are stamped with the same serial number. It is engraved but none on the trigger guard. The Butt Plate is plastic. Is it original to the gun? Any information would be appreciated.
Attachments
butt plate resized.jpg
butt plate resized.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
Barrels - Both Serial Numbers - resized.jpg
Barrels - Both Serial Numbers - resized.jpg (85.49 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
Gun and Barrel resized.jpg
Gun and Barrel resized.jpg (66.4 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
dubcity

Re: Remington 12 Ga double barrel Lifter

Post by dubcity »

Here are some more pictures that could help.
Attachments
Forearm resized.jpg
Forearm resized.jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
Lifter resized.jpg
Lifter resized.jpg (77.28 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
Right Side Hammer resized.jpg
Right Side Hammer resized.jpg (88.46 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Looks to me like you have an E. Remington & Sons Model 1876 Whitmore Lifter Action Grade 4 gun, that was fitted with a pair of Model 1883 hammers when it was back to Remington Arms Co. for the extra set of barrels. The hard rubber E. Remington & Sons logo butt plate looks right to me.
dubcity

Post by dubcity »

Thanks Researcher!

Any ball park idea of the value? I didn't know if the extra barrel adds anything to it. But now that the hammers are not original. What does that do to the value?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

To my eyes that looks like a wonderful shotgun and with its interesting features probably make it worthy of an article in The Double Gun Journal. Too bad that Charles Semmer who wrote the book, Remington Double Shotguns, is no longer with us, as he'd have been the man to do it. Doubly sad is that my go to guy for Remington hammer doubles, Andy Anderson, passed away Monday. I'm simply not qualified to say much more about it, but hopefully one of the experts like Garland Jackson will chime in here.