contract knives

AREMINGTONSEDGE

contract knives

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Does anyone know of a list or a book that list the cutlery companies that produced contract knives for Remington that would also encompass the model, style and year in which those knives were made by those companies? Thanks in advance for the info.

AREMINGTONSEDGE
Wulfman

Re: contract knives

Post by Wulfman »

The list is pretty short.
Are you talking about early in the last century or from 1982 forward?
I believe Remington had their own production in the early part of the 1900s.
From what I've read, Camillus was the company who made the ones from 1982 till they went belly-up and filed for bankruptcy in 2007 and were acquired by Acme United Corp. Some of their recent series are made in China.
Here are some links to read. If you do some searching, there's quite a bit of info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camillus_Cutlery_Company

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/remington_knives/

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... in-the-USA

Den

AREMINGTONSEDGE

Den thank for your reply I appreciate it very much. I am an avid collector of Remington knives/products. My query is specific to dates from 1920-1940. From my understanding and research thus far Camillus and Sharade made contract knives for Remington during that time frame. Looking for other Remington documentation to support this query and it's specifics. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Reading this link, I got the impression that Remington made their own knives from 1920 - 1940.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/remington_knives/

Particularly this part:

The Remington arms company was aware of the demand, and was more than ready to capitalize on the situation. As one of the leading arms producers, the company had been extremely profitable during the war. When the war ended, they had idle facilities that were no longer relied on to fill the high demand for war products. In addition, they had more than enough capital from their profits that they could build new state of the art facilities to mass produce high quality knives. Remington was under way by 1920 with a wide variety of pocketknives. They had a system that allowed for never before seen variations. The company would use a single handle form and make numerous versions. They used a single handle pattern and produced it with a single blade, two blades, or three blades. In addition, each pattern variation was produced with numerous handle materials. They even developed their own handle material called pyremite which was a plastic that was dyed different colors to offer even more variety. The Company claimed to have over 700 different patterns, and at their height was producing 10,000 knives per day. Soon, the great depression hit and the company sold out to the Dupont Company. Dupont did not change anything about the knives, but eventually discontinued the cutlery business in 1940 due to the undertaking of several U.S. government defense projects. The facilities that were being used for knife making were needed to supply the government with weapons of war. The company sold its equipment to the Pal Company who assembled the remaining parts, constructed a few military knives, and later scrapped the equipment in 1950.

Despite Remington's departure from the cutlery business, several newer Remington knives are in circulation. Reproductions of older patterns have been manufactured by other companies on contract. Many of them are extremely collectable and are quite valuable. There are a large number of the older knives around as well, but they are usually well worn. Some of the more popular patterns (The bullet knives in particular) are among the most valuable collectable knives in existence.

I previously had suspicions that Camillus may have also made their earlier knives, since they were both in New York, but now I have my doubts.

I have a fair number of their bullet knives from the 1980s and 1990s, but not much after that. I think the 1993 one is the last one I got of those productions before finally losing interest in them (and it was getting to be an expensive hobby).

You might want to read this link, too.

http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Ar ... utlery.pdf

If you can contact Kevin Pipes at Smokey Mountain Knife Works, you may be able to get more info to fill in the blanks. I would think he would be a good source for that.

Den

AREMINGTONSEDGE

Den I am an active member on AAPK as ROCKY1122, and have been for several years. I have several threads related to the Remington Arms Cutlery. I know that Remington used several other Cutlery Co for contract knives some were advertisement/ giveaway knives as examples. The two cutlery companies mentioned before we're two of them. I don't believe this venue has been studied and may provide answers to many related questions about stamping, pattern numbers etc..Remington was very discrete with info such as this and often not available.
As far as the Camullis/ Remington Bullit knives I personally have 1982 till 2001. That is when I got side tracked in collecting the antique Remington knife. I have quite a few which include the original Bullit knives, and have "many" that are fixed blades and pocketknives. Thanks again for your input and direction.
Last edited by AREMINGTONSEDGE on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

As of this date I have uncovered several companies that produced,( under authorization from Remington) contracted knives for Remington from 1920's-1940's and also the modern age knives 1970's to today. They are as follows:

1.Scharade Cutlery USA made the pull ball quick release knives for several companies including Remington who authorized their tang stamp logo on each pull ball knife. These knives date back to the 1920's and 1930's.

2. Quick Point, St Louis USA made several authorized advertising knives for Remington such as the MKT railroad knife and the Ralston Purina knife in the 1930's.

3. Camillus of USA made the authorized reproduced Bullet knives and anniversary knives for Remington until they closed their doors in 2007 going out of business.

4.Camillus of Ireland were authorized to make 20-30 sets of Bandit knives for Remington's executives in the 1980's. The modern Bandit knives that one sees on eBay are the modern knives and are a spin off from the original set from Ireland
The difference is the logo from Remington on the handle of each knife.

5. Boker of Solingin Germany were authorized to produce the fist two Remington "Wildlife Series", ( Ram and Elk) knives in 1996 and 1997.

6. Alcas Cutlery USA made an authorized prototype Remington R1123 in the mid 1970's. They were never produced.

7. Bear & Sons USA were authorized by Remington and made the reproduction Remington BSA knives as well as others.

8. Currently 2017 Remington announced that Buck knives USA will be authorized to begin production on Remington brand knives.

9. Kastor/Camillus made advertising knives for Remington 1933-1940 in USA and possible German factory for export.These knives had the "scripted" lined Remington tang stamp.

I will continue to investigate this since Remington had modern knives made in China and in Italy. Also I have found knives made in Germany which claim to be authorized and are tang stamped as such but have not found information that supports this other than the knives themselves.
Will post as I discover more.
Last edited by AREMINGTONSEDGE on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Coming in at number 10: adding the Bowen Knife Company from Atlanta Georgia USA. Authorized to reproduced the Remington R1123 Bullet knife 1974.