Help needed with disassembly of 1894 Forend

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Canvasback

Help needed with disassembly of 1894 Forend

Post by Canvasback »

I have an 1984 BE 12 gauge with the push button release forend. I am taking it apart to have the wood on the gun repaired and refinished. I have the stock off the receiver with no difficulty but I am stumped with the forend iron and I would rather get advice then do something I may regret later. This is the first time I have tried to do this to any forend except those from Fox with either the latch or the snap on styles.

Can anyone give me some pointers please?
dieNusse1

Re: Help needed with disassembly of 1894 Forend

Post by dieNusse1 »

Fairly easy. First remove the forward of the two screws that join the button to the rest of the latch assembly. I don't think the second one needs removal. Slide the button & spring out. Then you can remove the three screws (two on the metal tip and one near the top end of the iron) holding the iron to the wood.
Canvasback

Post by Canvasback »

dieNusse!, thank you. Went slowly and carefully and worked my way through 100 plus years of crud and it came apart nicely. Now, when the wood is done, it will be interesting getting it all back together! LOL
TheOldMan

Post by TheOldMan »

I've always found that taking pictures before and during disassembly is very beneficial. May be a mute point to make now but might help ya out in the future :) Just so happens I am restoring an 1894 for a client and would be happy to share my pics with you if you want to send me an email address. That is if you haven't already gotten it back..
Canvasback

Post by Canvasback »

Old Man, that's a great tip. One I have heard repeatedly and one I just about always forget about. I'm not particularly camera oriented, so it never occurs to me in the moment. But I am trying to change. I just took apart a crystal light fixture with well over 100 dangling bits, in order to properly clean it. Took photos of that! LOL Better still, used the photos to get it back together properly!
TheOldMan

Post by TheOldMan »

I know this is not related to Rem. Shotguns but what got me started was when I completely disassembled a CZ-82. I followed instructions on-line but reassembly was not totally explained. If it weren't for the pictures I'd decided to take, I never would have gotten it back together.