remington 1894 sxs

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
sap4570

remington 1894 sxs

Post by sap4570 »

i have a Remington 1894 sxs 12 ga.i just got for $200 bucks. it is in good condition. i read some info on here about it. but mine is stamped grade a but it has steel barrels. from what i read it should be stamped ao. it has a plain receiver and checkered stock. the bottom of the barrels lugs has 32 and 30 stamped. what does that mean? serial no is 114017. approx what year was it made. would it have 2 3/4 chambers. any info and help would be appreciated.thanks, Scott
dieNusse1

Re: remington 1894 sxs

Post by dieNusse1 »

Scott -- Given your S/N, your '94 was produced in 1899. In 1910, in addition to the '94, Remington also dropped production of the 1889 and 1900 SxS models. Remington saw that their future lay with pumps and auto-loaders.

As for the numbers stamped on the barrel lugs - Remington used test loads of 1 1/4 oz of #8 shot containing 511 pellets to determine choke. The test loads were fired at a 30" circle at 40 yards. Remington stamped the pellet counts on the barrel lug and if two numbers are stamped (30) a leading 3 is assumed. So 330/511 = ~ 65% and 332/511 = ~ 65% meaning that both barrels are about improved modified.

As for chamber length - I believe they are 2 5/8". Of course paper cases had much thicker walls than current plastic cases so the transition from chamber through the forcing cone shouldn't be as severe as with paper cases. Chambers can be reamed or shorter cases purchased or loaded.

As for grade stamping -- a lot of variation out there. Grade was stamped on the water table opposite the S/N. Yours is stamped A so I assume it has extractors -- As for barrel stampings, It is unfortunate that a uniform system wasn't carried out during the production life of these fine guns. Most of the meanings of the barrels stampings have been lost in the mists of time. For example, I have an A grade stamped PA(anchor). it has ejectors and damascus barrels. Another is stamped C3MP which in this case is an AEO (ejectors & ordinance steel barrels). A third has R7P on an AER grade (ejectors & Remington steel barrels).

A copy of Charles Semmer's book "Remington Double Shotguns" is very interesting and might help with your understanding of all of the Remington doubles from about 1873 - 1910. It is available on this site and provides much information

In any event enjoy your find - sounds like a great price.
Last edited by dieNusse1 on Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
sap4570

Re: remington 1894 sxs

Post by sap4570 »

thanks for the info. its a nice shotgun that will see lots of use upland bird hunting and some clay targets.