1889 sxs parts

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Hawkeye_State

1889 sxs parts

Post by Hawkeye_State »

Yesterday my father handed down to me his father's Remington 1889 12 gauge. This shotgun has been in the family as far back as my father can remember, at least since 1945. My plan is to preserve it in the best condition possible.

It is missing the fore grip, the butt plate is cracked and both hammers are missing. Otherwise, it's in pretty ok shape for a grade 2 or 3 gun with some light rust. (I will get some photos on here later)

I would like to at least replace the missing parts and then hang it on the wall for my kids and later generations.

Any help on finding these parts would be greatly appreciated!!

D
dieNusse1

Re: 1889 sxs parts

Post by dieNusse1 »

D -- Sad to say but I've sold all my parts on eBay and other places. Parts for '89s come up on eBay all the time.

Also there are several members who may have parts available. Hammers seem to be a hot items as they tend to break over time. Repro butt plates are available on eBay.

Is it a grade 2 or grade 3? The grade should be stamped on the water table. A grade 2 will have a twist steel barrel while the better grade 3 will have damascus steel. The lowest grade, grade 1, has a decarbonized steel barrel.

Good luck
Hawkeye_State

Post by Hawkeye_State »

Yes, the barrel has a twist. I have been trying to figure out how you determine the grade and was caught up in the terminology of decarbonized and damascus. Are there any marks that indicated grade?

I will check ebay and other sites for the parts.

Apparently when my grandfather "inherited" the gun, we have no clue how he came across it, it only had a left hammer and I am guessing the fore-piece was missing because the extractor wouldn't work with out it. My dad told me my grandfather would drop a large nail down the barrel to extract the casing. This gun was used to put food on the table and it shows.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

D -- Sounds like a well used gun and an important family item.

The grade is shown in two areas. First, it is to the left of the S/N on the action body and is also stamped on the barrels just ahead (~1 inch) of the mounting lug. The grade will be either an 1 (decarbonized steel), 2 (twist steel) or 3 (best - damascus steel). Grade 4 and above were special order.

Again good luck