question on replacing stock on model 1894

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Canvasback

question on replacing stock on model 1894

Post by Canvasback »

Hi

I have a 1894 BE serial #136009, I believe from 1907. Stock is rough with a cross pin installed.

I am considering acquiring the stock from an A grade, serial number 131xxx. I'm wondering how close it would fit. No work? Some minor work? Lots of fitting? Anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks
2shooter

Re: question on replacing stock on model 1894

Post by 2shooter »

The first thing the checkering lines are not the same count and pattern.I would use the original stock,but "don't" sand it down that will ruin everything. I have saved stocks original to gun I don't want miss match serial number or wood that is not right.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

The first question to answer is the overall condition of the gun. If it shows average wear or more and you'll be using it as a shooter I'd use the A stock and not worry about the checkering.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Probably wouldn't work at all. A 1904 and a 1907 are considerably different guns. 131xxx would be a 1904 gun with the firing pins integral with the hammers, and different hammer pin and sear pin spacing. The 1907 gun would have the seperate firing pins, and different hammers and sears.

Using the original stock as a pattern, have the gun restocked to your dimensions by one of our good stockmakers like Craig Libhart -- http://susquehannastockworks.com/ and you will be a much happier shooter in the long run.
Canvasback

Post by Canvasback »

Thanks Researcher. Didn't know how far apart in time the two guns were made and specifically if the doner gun would be the later version or the earlier version. I am intending to re-stock but saw the 1904 gun come up for sale and it had what looked to be a decent piece of wood.

Thanks all for your time and responses. Much appreciated!