Trying to ID an old Remington Double-Barrel Shotgun

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Nifft

Trying to ID an old Remington Double-Barrel Shotgun

Post by Nifft »

Greetings,

I'm trying to find out some info for my father-in-law, and am not sure where to start. There doesn't seem to be any identifying numbers anywhere, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
gun3.jpg
gun3.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
gun2.jpg
gun2.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
gun1.jpg
gun1.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
ChuckD

Re: Trying to ID an old Remington Double-Barrel Shotgun

Post by ChuckD »

Nifft,

What you have here isn't a shotgun. It's a double barrel percussion rifle.
You state there are no numbers, but are there any makers marks on top of the barrels or
on the back lock plates? There are only a few examples, of early percussion rifles, which are claimed
to be made by Remington.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Wonderful piece of wood!!

Can't really tell from the pictures but are the hammers the same and is the right lock plate engraved the same way the left lock is?
Nifft

Post by Nifft »

Here's a closer look at both sides. They both say Remington, but are engraved differently.
Attachments
P1000544sm.jpg
P1000544sm.jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
P1000542sm.jpg
P1000542sm.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Have been thinking about what you might have. First the lock plates and hammers not matching is troubling. I suppose there are those out there in Forum land that can address this issue better than I can. Also, I don't know if the use of back action locks was typical of Remington.

Finally, arms were usually stamped E. Remington & Sons. Your's are simply stamped Remington and, in my opinion, not centered well. Is there any stamping on the top of the barrels?

Still, you have a nice rare double rifle. Maybe there was another maker out there using the Remington name during the 1820s - 1860s or so?????
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dieNusse1 wrote:Have been thinking about what you might have. First the lock plates and hammers not matching is troubling. I suppose there are those out there in Forum land that can address this issue better than I can. Also, I don't know if the use of back action locks was typical of Remington.

Finally, arms were usually stamped E. Remington & Sons. Your's are simply stamped Remington and, in my opinion, not centered well. Is there any stamping on the top of the barrels?

Still, you have a nice rare double rifle. Maybe there was another maker out there using the Remington name during the 1820s - 1860s or so?????
Or a European copycat, you see derringers out there stamped E. Remington and they clearly not.