help with re-assembly of Model 1900

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Canvasback

help with re-assembly of Model 1900

Post by Canvasback »

Hi. Just joined and this is my first post. I have two Model 1894 BE Damascus and one Model 1900 with fluid steel. The 1900 is a bit of a beater and I have been fiddling around with it. Stock was a mess so I removed it and have refinished it. I'm using this gun to get familiar with the design before I attempt anything with my 1894's.

Here's the problem. When I disassembled it, there were two parts flopping around on the inside not attached to anything. One is the Safety Plunger Spring....about 1/2 inch long and the other is a very small wood screw that looks like it was supposed to hold the plunger spring in place somewhere. However, given the poor state of the wood on the inside, I can find no evidence of where it should go and the schematic I have, while showing the part clearly, isn't much help in that area.

I'm hoping someone can give me some direction/post a photo or anything that might help me locate it properly. I am assuming that the part probably exists inside my 1894's but I would like to avoid taking the stock off them at the moment if the only purpose is to look.

Thanks for any help.

BTW, took Researcher's often repeated advice. Have contacted Charles Semmer and have ordered his book. Looking forward to reading it.
dieNusse1

Re: help with re-assembly of Model 1900

Post by dieNusse1 »

It's been awhile since I've had any of my '94's or 1900's apart. But I did drag out a semi inletted stock. The spring is held in place by the wood screw and is mounted on the flat area in front of the hole where the safety rocker passes through. The spring bears down on the plunger to hold it in place.

If, as you said, your stock is in poor condition you will need to rework the central area of your stock. You should be able to see where the mounting point was because that's where most of the damage should be.

If it were me.I'd remove some of the damaged wood and replace it with new. I don't think "exact" placement is necessary because there should be plenty room in that area.

And that's the best I remember. Good luck and post again if you are having more problems.
Canvasback

Re: help with re-assembly of Model 1900

Post by Canvasback »

Thanks dieNusse1. That helps a lot. There is absolutely no sign of a hole or indent from the circular head of the spring on the wood in that area. Makes me think a piece of wood is just outright missing. But if it's missing, it's been gone for a very long time. Think I will take one of my 1894's apart and take some measurements of the wood, as well as get the exact placement correct.

Really appreciate your help.