Please help identify old Rolling-Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
92GTA

Please help identify old Rolling-Block

Post by 92GTA »

I have an old Remington rifle that I inherited from my uncle when he passed away a few years ago. I'm told it was used by what would have been my great grandfather to basically feed the family back in Oklahoma. It's been kept wrapped in a towel and kept on the top shelf of a closet for 60yrs or more. I cleaned the barrel and there was no sign of rust but a TON of what looked like graphite grease came out. I'm guessing it was greased prior to long term storage. The inside of the barrel now looks pristine and I have everything lubricated correctly. Everything is in great shape mechanical wise, very tight and snappy.

I am trying to identify precisely what year and model/caliber it is. It is of the Remington "Rolling-Block" breach design. Looks like these were first designed in 1867 but since mine says "Remington Arms Co" it's of a 1886 production or later from what I can gather on Wikipedia. There aren't many markings anywhere on the gun except for "Remington Arms Co. Ilion NY USA" and that is in 2 places, the top of the barrel near the breach, and on the top of the firing mechanism housing at the rear. On the bottom of the barrel near the breach it says 32 and then 157423. So what a .32 and a serial # of 157423? 22.5" long barrel I believe (according to internet, haven't measured), octagon of course. I believe a sold frame version, no take down lever or thumb screw.

I went to RollingBlockParts.com and it does not match any of their models/diagrams listed. I have taken pictures and attached them to this thread. It's close to the model 4, probably just a variation. The Remington site says they are centerfire though and mine is a rimfire: http://www.remington.com/products/archi ... block.aspx and what's with some places calling it a model 4 and others a #4 or a No. 4? Which is it lol?!

If anyone can please help me correctly identify this rifle, I would be forever grateful! Based on that serial, what is everyone's best guess on year of production between the 1890 and 1933 that Remington says the model 4 was in production, ~1901? I'm not sure what their production levels throughout the various years of production were. Did Remington keep records? It seems like allot of these from the early 1900s have allot more stamped into them words and info wise and have extra levers on the sides that this one does not, this also doesn't have the word Remington stamped in a logo style like others seem to. This one is just really simple.

EDIT: Remington emailed me back and confirmed that my serial # was produced in 1902, SWEET!
EDIT 2: What's not sweet is I just realized it's and early takedown model that has a broken lever :( Now I need to find an original lever.

Thanks!

Alex

http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
1902 Remington "Early Takedown" Standard Model No. 4 "Rolling Block" rifle, .32 Rimfire
WTB: Original takedown lever
Bought new and used by my great-grandfather in Oklahoma.
oughtsix

Re: Please help identify old Rolling-Block

Post by oughtsix »

Try Rollingblockparts.com they may have your early takedown lever. No one makes .32rim any more(that I know of), but you may find some out there on the 'net. If you want to make a shooter, reline to .22 assuming that every thing else is functional. It is nice to have a family heirloom!

oughtsix
92GTA

Post by 92GTA »

Thanks! I actually called them yesterday and they are selling me a lever.

I haven't been able to find any ammo yet on the net but I'm also not willing to modify the gun. I almost don't want to replace the broken lever since it's part of it's history but I want it kept fully functional for the day when repro ammo is made.
http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
1902 Remington "Early Takedown" Standard Model No. 4 "Rolling Block" rifle, .32 Rimfire
WTB: Original takedown lever
Bought new and used by my great-grandfather in Oklahoma.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is as good as it's going to get...

http://www.hc-collection.com/

It works I've seen 41 rm.