New Model 1858 Remington

Sign the guestbook
JCinPA

New Model 1858 Remington

Post by JCinPA »

I am wondering if there is any way to find out which Regiment a particular pistol was issued to, during the Civil War. I have an 1858 model, new model, SN 57532...with the inspector mark GP, Giles Porter, if I remember his name correctly. I know who carried it during the War, but he was in two different PA regiment, 79th PA Vols, and 21st PA Cav. For some reason I think it was issues when he was in the 21st as I made a note to that effect, but I have no idea of why. Any suggestions on where I can find such info? Below is what I have researched, but I would like to verify that it was issued to the 21st..
The Remington New Army Revolver belonged to Captain Elias McMellen. Captain McMellen was from Lancaster County, PA. His Grandfather on his father's side, a native of North of Ireland took part in the Revolutionary War. The family were Farmers, but Elias, who had to work at an early age to provide for his widowed Mother, became a Carpenters apprentice, and later a Bridge Builder. In 1861 he enlisted in the Union Army becoming a private in Co. K, 79th PA Vols. He took part in the battles of Bowling Green and Nashville. He was with Buel in his famous retrograde movement through Tennessee and Kentucky, fought at Perryville, where he contracted camp fever and was sent home on furlough. In 1863 he mustered out of the 79yh on Surgeons certificate. That same year, he again entered into service as first Lieut. Of Co. C, 21st PA Cav, assigned to duty in the Shenandoah Valley. AT the conclusion of that term, he reenlisted at Chambersburg for 3 years, becoming Captain of the Color Company of the regiment, Co. I, 21st PA Cav. He fought in the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, James River and the siege of Petersburg. He became attached to Sheridan's Corps and in the battle of Boydton Plank Road; he was shot in the leg leg. On Oct 27, 1864, he was wounded in the arm at Black Water Swamp, and at Dinwiddie Court House, was hit in the hip, by a fragment of an exploding shell, and at Amelia Springs, April 5, 1865 had his left ankle injured by his horse falling on him. He participated in the last charge make by the Army of the Potomac on the morning of the surrender of Gen. Lee. He was then ordered to Lynchburg and from there, was sent to Campbell Court House on provost duty. He mustered out July 8, 1865.
Serial numbers (57532). The revolver was issued when Elias was a member of the 21st PA Cav.[/color][/color]