1894 case and Hawkins Recoilpad

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
kmiker

1894 case and Hawkins Recoilpad

Post by kmiker »

I have a model 1894, grade b. Damascus barrels in at least good condition. The leather case needs some work, rear and front leather replacement, as they are missing and some restitching. The leather is in less than good condition. Is it worth getting the case refurbished?
Would a Hawkins recoil pad have been a factory option, or an add on?
Researcher

Re: 1894 case and Hawkins Recoilpad

Post by Researcher »

Remington Hammerless Doubles had been out of production nearly two decades when the Hawkins recoil pad first came on the market.
kmiker

Post by kmiker »

So to get the most bang for the buck so to speak, as I plan on selling it what would be your recommendation, refurbish the case, remove the hawkins, or list them as is? The gun by serial number was produced in 1902.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

The '94s have butt plates with a Neider point. So, if that feature was removed when installing the Hawkins it would be best to sell as is.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Unless the case can be somehow documented as being factory original to the gun, it would ad little value, and the cost of refurbishment might well be more than the case is worth. The 1908, the 1908-09 and the 1909 Remington Arms Co. catalogues included this page on cases --

None of the Remington Arms Co. catalogues I know of from 1894 to 1907 include any cases.

A very few higher grade guns may have come from Ilion with a factory installed, leather-faced, Silvers recoil pad with the widows peak.